Cannot stream a video with subtitles with Mencoder anymore

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Cannot stream a video with subtitles with Mencoder anymore

Postby cartosig » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm having trouble streaming any video with external subtitles since a few day, and i don't know why. I use PMS 1.50.1.
Everything is working great as long a i disable subtitles or use TsMuxer.
But with Mencoder i get a "The data is corrupted" message on the TV screen when try to stream a mkv file for instance.

In the trace screen of PMS i have the following trace :
Code: Select all
[osx/mencoder] INFO  23:01:39.596 Process /Applications/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/osx/mencoder has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occurred... check the log file

and the log file doesn't give any additionnal info.

I've already seen numerous people with the same issue, so i'm wondering what do you think might be the best chance tu get around this issue ?
Try to reinstall everything (PMS & VLC) ? Try older versions of PMS ? Tweak PMS (i've tried a lot of conf already) ?
I have to say i'm kind of out of ideas... so thanks for the help !
cartosig

Re: Cannot stream a video with subtitles with Mencoder anymo

Postby cartosig » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am

Ok Folks i solved the issue so i'm going to tell you how, it might help others.

The problem is quite simple indeed : there is a configuration file stored in your /Users/%MyUserName%/Library/Application Support/PMS/PMS.conf directory.
At a point i was trying to remove each & every file related to PMS from my Mac in order to make a clean install of an older version (1.30.1).
So i deleted the conf file from my Application Support directory, and then reinstalled 1.30.1. Everything went fine and subtitle worked again.

Then i made the same cleaning process and installed 1.50.1. Everything is still fine.

So i think my problem was an old conf file from a previous 1.30.1 install messing up the new 1.50.1 installation.
cartosig

Re: Cannot stream a video with subtitles with Mencoder anymo

Postby calumk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm

After no less than 4 and a half hours of searching, I found this post.

THANKYOU
(I registered just to say that)

Cant believe the conf file isn't auto-updated if it already exists...
Bug?
calumk

Return to Mac OS X Support