PMS thinks my media directories don't exist ?

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS thinks my media directories don't exist ?

Postby helenseven » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 pm

PMS beginner here. I have PMS up and running. I'm trying to stream some video from my mac to my Philips DLNA TV.
I've added a couple of test folders with video and Photos and mp3s to PMS but the only thing that shows up on the TV is PMS's #-Video Settings-# folder.

I've ticked "Enable the cache" but still no joy. By chance I took a peek at the debug.log and I noticed that it had a warning saying the directories I had selected for my media "didn't exist" and advised me to remove them!

Any help is welcome. Thanks

OS X 10.6.8
PSM 1.50.0
helenseven

Re: PMS thinks my media directories don't exist ?

Postby helenseven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Anyone?
helenseven

Postby meskibob » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:19 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby helenseven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. While getting the details you requested I think I have accidentally fixed the issue. I had named the folders "TEMP-such-and-such".
For some reason I made another folder without the TEMP part in the folder name and that folder appeared.

So it looks like "TEMP" in the folder name means PMS will ignore the folder! ?

Thanks.
helenseven

Postby Raptor399 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 am

helenseven wrote:So it looks like "TEMP" in the folder name means PMS will ignore the folder! ?

I can't find any code to ignores folders with a name starting with "temp".
I do see a "temp" folder mentioned for internal PMS use, but that would not match "temp-such-and-such".
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby helenseven » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 pm

You're right. I went back and checked again because of your reply. The problem folder was still there. I added it to PMS and PMS wouln't serve it. I looked in the log and PMS said the same directory x doesn't exist please remove it. I looked at the folder name and it ended with a space [by mistake]. I deleted the space and PMS served the directory no problem.

So it looks like you can't have a folder ending with a space?
Last edited by helenseven on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helenseven

Postby helenseven » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm

No that's not 100% it either!

I just added a space back to the end of the problem folder and a space to the end of another folder that wasn't causing any problems. Now the problem folder with the space is being served but the other folder with the space is not.

I see there is an update available 1.50.1. I might try that.

I don't suppose this is relevant but I'll add it anyway. Those folders were in a parent folder which I had specially set up so that Time Machine would not back it up.
helenseven

Return to Mac OS X Support