Newbie question regard PS3 discovery

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Newbie question regard PS3 discovery

Postby felix » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I know this question has been posted before but I have followed the instructions given in the previous posting regarding Mac OS X but I cannot get my PS3 to see the "Server". I have a Time Warner cable modem (15mps down and 2mps up) connected to a Airport Express Extreme Router which is connected to a NetGear 24 port switcher.The Trace indicates that the server is using ip addr 10.0.1.181 and it states "sending live" but my PS3 does not see the server. I have gone into my MAC PRO Firewall and added "PS3 SERVER" but the server does not recognize the PS3.
The AirPort Router assigns all the ip addresses within the range of 10.0.1.0 thru 200.

What have I missed?
Your help is appreciated

Felix
felix

Re: Newbie question regard PS3 discovery

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm

If I'm reading your network setup correctly, I'm pretty sure the UPnP announcements aren't transferred from one subnet to another, even though the switch is part of the AE subnet. A good general test for this would also be to see if you can ping the PS3 from your Mac. Try connecting both machines to either just the AE or just the switch.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby felix » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Not sure I understand your reply. Both machine are plugged into the switcher. Here is my connections:

Time Warner cable modem>Airport Extreme>Netgear switcher= PS3,EVA8000,Network cameras, Mac Pro, Control 4 and etc.

If I plugged the PS3 directly into the AE, would it be the same as connecting to the switcher.
felix

Postby meskibob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 pm

felix wrote:Not sure I understand your reply. Both machine are plugged into the switcher. Here is my connections:
Time Warner cable modem>Airport Extreme>Netgear switcher= PS3,EVA8000,Network cameras, Mac Pro, Control 4 and etc.
I did indeed interpret your setup incorrectly, and you should be fine then. The only thing I can think of is that the switch is somehow limiting UPnP/M-Search announcements, but usually switches allow everything through on the same level. What's the specific model of the switch? I guess also try disabling the Mac software firewall for a bit, although that shouldn't affect your outbound connection from the Mac to the PS3.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby felix » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 am

Just had a chance to play with the ps3 server app again. the airport extreme is handing out a ip addres like it does with the rest of my equipment and the tracing info saids that the server software should appear on the PS3 but the PS3 cannot see the server software. The ps3 find the 'MEDIALINK" software immediately. Help!!

Thanks, Felix
felix

Postby liddokun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm

felix wrote:Just had a chance to play with the ps3 server app again. the airport extreme is handing out a ip addres like it does with the rest of my equipment and the tracing info saids that the server software should appear on the PS3 but the PS3 cannot see the server software. The ps3 find the 'MEDIALINK" software immediately. Help!!

Thanks, Felix

Don't keep both of them running at the same time.
liddokun

Return to Mac OS X Support