Massive problem after PMS working fine for a long time

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Massive problem after PMS working fine for a long time

Postby ben198705 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and just signed up to see if anyone could help me resolve this huge problem I have been experiencing with PS3 media server that I just cant seem to fix, even after searching for a solution for hours on the web.
I had been using PS3 Media Server regularly for around 3 months with no problems whatsoever, playing various kinds of file types flawlessly from avi's to ogm's, but two days ago the program randomly stopped working for me. When I click the program icon i get the error message "Cannot create Java virtual machine", and the program doesnt start. I found that it will start if I open the executable JAR file found in the installation folder but even then, as soon as i try to play a file on the PS3 the program just disconnects itself from the PS3; so frustrating.
I eventually turned to TVersity as an alternative but have found it wont play my .ogm files so its not much use. I really want to fix PMS but I've never been so stumped by a problem before :?

Now from searching google I see that I'm not the only one to have experienced this problem. But I dont get why this is happening now, when the program had worked perfectly for the last three months? ASAIK I have changed absoloutely nothing on my PC's settings so I dont get what has caused this error.
I've checked I have the lastest Java and I do (Java 6 update 23) so I'm kind of out of ideas, Ive tried uninstalling Java and PSM multiple times and then reinstalling but still no luck....I did read something about changing memory allocations for Java via DOS command lines, but I have no idea how to go about doing something like that! If anyone could kind of give a step by step guide in laymens then that would be much appreciated.

If anyone does feel like helping me out then let me know if theres any other details you need from me regarding my system, settings etc

Thanks

EDIT: Ok, found out that you can try and and alter the memory allocation in the .BAT file, but after opening the bat file and pressing any key to continue I just get "cannot create java virtual machine again". Dammit
ben198705

Re: Massive problem after PMS working fine for a long time

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:46 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby ben198705 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I need to understand why this problem has occurred though - that's what I thought I could find out by coming here. This whole thing about needing to change heap sizes - why do I need to do that when PS3 media server has been working flawlessy up to now? What I was hoping is someone could help me better understand what has caused the problem so I can fix it.
From what I can tell there really isn't a solution. I messed around with the heap sizes by changing them in a text editor but still the "cant create virtual machine error" comes up every single time. I gave up considering I dont even have the slightest clue what heap size I should be setting it to.

No offence but that link didnt really help...

I think I'll just forget it, its not worth the time I'm spending trying to get this thing to work again.
ben198705

Postby ben198705 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Ok so I figured I'd have another go at getting this to work. My idea now is just to copy all my files onto the PS3....then I plan to wipe my PCs hard drive clean and start again.

So since I get the INFURIATING "cant create java virtual machine" when I try to open the program the usual way, i figured I'd just open it with the jar file (since the jar file actually starts up for some reason) and try and copy everything over that way..so everythings going ok at first, I start copying a large folder full of ogm files onto the PS3, but around 30 seconds into it, bam, PS3 media server shuts itself down again. I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

Can someone PLEASE offer me some help here???? What the hell is wrong here? This program worked fantastically for me for a good few months and now I cant even run the damn thing? ANy suggestions would be much appreciated!
ben198705

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 pm

ben198705 wrote:So since I get the INFURIATING "cant create java virtual machine" when I try to open the program the usual way, i figured I'd just open it with the jar file (since the jar file actually starts up for some reason) and try and copy everything over that way..so everythings going ok at first, I start copying a large folder full of ogm files onto the PS3, but around 30 seconds into it, bam, PS3 media server shuts itself down again. I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

the jar file 'as is' without the right parameters will likely crash after 30 seconds... try the .bat one
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ben198705 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 am

shagrath wrote:
ben198705 wrote:So since I get the INFURIATING "cant create java virtual machine" when I try to open the program the usual way, i figured I'd just open it with the jar file (since the jar file actually starts up for some reason) and try and copy everything over that way..so everythings going ok at first, I start copying a large folder full of ogm files onto the PS3, but around 30 seconds into it, bam, PS3 media server shuts itself down again. I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

the jar file 'as is' without the right parameters will likely crash after 30 seconds... try the .bat one

Ah right...unfortunately when I try to use the .bat file I get the usual error message of "cannot create java virtual machine". It opens up, but its when I follow the instruction to press any key to continue that I get the error message. :(
ben198705

Postby ben198705 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 pm

No one? :(
ben198705

Postby meskibob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Delete the .BAT file and then reinstall PMS. If the default .BAT doesn't successfully open PMS, then follow the directions in the post that chocolateboy linked. If you need help with a step, just ask (and provide the output from the command line if there are errors).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ben198705 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:12 pm

meskibob wrote:Delete the .BAT file and then reinstall PMS. If the default .BAT doesn't successfully open PMS, then follow the directions in the post that chocolateboy linked. If you need help with a step, just ask (and provide the output from the command line if there are errors).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I fixed it :D Not only does it work now, but it works like a dream - twice as quick as it ever did before! All I had to do was something as simple as running disk defragment, then i reinstalled PMS and it worked fine.
ben198705

Postby devildog93 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 am

ben198705 wrote:
meskibob wrote:Delete the .BAT file and then reinstall PMS. If the default .BAT doesn't successfully open PMS, then follow the directions in the post that chocolateboy linked. If you need help with a step, just ask (and provide the output from the command line if there are errors).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I fixed it :D Not only does it work now, but it works like a dream - twice as quick as it ever did before! All I had to do was something as simple as running disk defragment, then i reinstalled PMS and it worked fine.

Cool. Many people assume their PC can handle anything simply because it has the horsepower. But like an engine, if it is not properly maintained, it will cough and spit, and sometimes shut down.

It seems alot of HDD's are failing lately, and replacing them seems to fix people's PMS problems. I wonder how many of them simply needed to do basic maintenance. Especially Windows based platforms in my experience.

Good on you for figuring this out on your own.
devildog93

Return to General Help and Support