Appropriate settings for (near-)lossless DVD streaming?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Appropriate settings for (near-)lossless DVD streaming?

Postby ajkessel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm

I've been playing around with fuppes with my PS3 but thought I would give this server a try, especially because there doesn't seem to be any way to get subtitles with fuppes.

This may be a newbie question, but I am confused about whether DVD content (i.e., a VIDEO_TS folder) is being resampled when streamed to the PS3. Would I get better quality by just playing the raw VOBs directly (as served by fuppes), or am I getting identical audio/video quality from PS3 Media Server?

Other potentially relevant info: I have an HDMI receiver and 1080p digital projector. Since this is only DVD content, it should only be 480p. The entire LAN is gigabit Ethernet.

Basically, what I'm looking for is to serve media in as lossless a format as possible to the PS3. I believe when I'm just playing VOBs served by fuppes, it is equivalent to having a physical DVD in the PS3 (other than the slight annoyance that it doesn't read the menus/etc., so it just plays through the titleset one VOB at a time). Is PS3MS already doing this? If not, is it configurable to do this?
ajkessel

Re: Appropriate settings for (near-)lossless DVD streaming?

Postby abhijeet » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 am

Try adding this line to the codec specific parameters:
vcodec == mpeg2 && srtfile == null :: -ovc copy -nosync

The server still uses mencoder, but remuxes the mpeg-2 video if there are no subtitles.
abhijeet

Re: Appropriate settings for (near-)lossless DVD streaming?

Postby ajkessel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Do I also need an -oac copy, or is that happening already?
ajkessel

Return to General Help and Support