Intel Atom Dual Core

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Intel Atom Dual Core

Postby HotteX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Hallo,

doas anybody tried a Intel Atom Dualcore with PS3 Mediaserver?

Greetings,
HotteX
HotteX

Re: Intel Atom Dual Core

Postby kleverbear » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:06 am

Yes i have, I have the single core Intel D945GCLF 1.6GHz with DDR2 2GB of ram, a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB, and a Seagate 80GB holding the OS. The OS is Windows Home Server and PS3 Media Server. It works great, I use the PS3MS to encode movies on the fly. I stream them in SD and sometimes HD.
kleverbear

Postby Dr_Bedo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Did you try to transcode 1080p video? was everything ok or was it too slow making playback? :?:

I'm very interested on it. I'm thinking about buying one of them. Thanks.
Dr_Bedo

Postby kleverbear » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:11 am

Dr_Bedo wrote:Did you try to transcode 1080p video? was everything ok or was it too slow making playback? :?:

I'm very interested on it. I'm thinking about buying one of them. Thanks.

Dr, No i have not done 1080. I am most certainly positive that 1080 will be more than it can handle. For instance a 1080 video with no transcoding needed used up over 30% of the CPU's power! I normally do 720 as that suits my needs. Also i've noticed with Tversity only that IF the PS3 can play back the video but not the audio, and you then proceed to transcode the video it will only do the audio, but PSMS will do both even do it does not need to. Im Hoping some one can help out with this, because if we can get the PS to take some of the burden and leave the rest to the processor I think the Atom will be sufficient. I responded to another topic on this forum and it has my specs, if your interested.

Hope it you go for it!!
kleverbear

Postby meskibob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:23 pm

kleverbear wrote:Also i've noticed with Tversity only that IF the PS3 can play back the video but not the audio, and you then proceed to transcode the video it will only do the audio, but PSMS will do both even do it does not need to.
Didn't realize TVersity could remux... anywho, this is also possible with PMS if you use TSmuxer instead of MEncoder. Note, however, that TSmuxer will not work if soft subs are present, in which case you'll need to switch back to MEncoder.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby shagrath » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:50 pm

I will be happy if you give us some sample cases where Tversity is remuxing and ps3ms isn't...
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Help and Support