Slow file list population on PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Slow file list population on PS3

Postby SiliRat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Hiya.

Got the server setup last night, and so far everything is working 'out of the box', but I'm having a problem with the rate at which the list of media files populates when browsing the server via the PS3.

I'll go into a folder with (let's say) 60 assorted video files. The list on the PS3 will show the first 10 files, and it seems to be trying to find a thumbnail for them, and one by one the Green play button triangle (the PMS icon) is populated beside each file at a rate of about 1 per second. Once that is done, it listed the next 10 files, and repeats the process. The end result being that if I want to watch the very last file on the list, it's at least 60 seconds before I can even select it. And if I shut down the server or the PS3 (which will both be very regular occurrences) I have to redo the entire process.

I get the impression that it is looking for the thumbnail for each file, but because I have thumbnail generation disabled, it defaults to the PMS icon. Personally, I don't want either, and this seems to be a feature of the PMS (since none of the other media server products I have tried with the PS3 have thumbnail features or populate the PS3 with icons beside the filename.

I have yet to find a 'tell the PS3 there are never thumbnails' option in PMS... is there one?
SiliRat

Re: Slow file list population on PS3

Postby Topguy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 pm

The first time you enter a directory the PMS must still scan the file for codec-information.
But if you have enabled the MediaLibrary this should only happen the first time, the next time the 60 files should appear quite fast.
Topguy

Re: Slow file list population on PS3

Postby meskibob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:49 pm

The thumbnail generation should have nothing to do with the actual list population speed. If you just enabled the media library, this lag can happen the first time when going through all the videos since PMS is creating a cache of the list. After this first time it should be much faster.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support