Web content will not stream

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Web content will not stream

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:58 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:36 pm

lovswr wrote:I get the following:
Code: Select all
MEncoder SVN-r30314-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
Resolving movies.apple.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server movies.apple.com[204.2.254.106]: 80...
Resolving www.apple.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.apple.com[96.16.37.15]: 80...
Cache size set to 16384 KBytes
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x5e7b

============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer

when I use the previous version of ps3mencoder, I get no errors & that file is encoded/created.

Somehow you have a version of MEncoder committed to Subversion less than 24 hours ago (the timestamp of the SVN-r30314-4.4.1 revision is 2010-01-15 21:01:31 +0000). I don't know how you got it, but it looks like it's not been compiled with the appropriate configure options to support QuickTime, and, as a build from a non-stable source snapshot, it might not work even with that support enabled.

Without more information - e.g. logfiles, and background on why you have a nonstandard mencoder - it's impossible to say why the old version of ps3mencoder works for you and the latest version doesn't. There's no difference between them in the detection of mencoder.
Last edited by chocolateboy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

lovswr wrote:success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x5e7b

Come to think of it, this error most likely means that the Apple trailer isn't a video. Which probably means the user agent is wrong. Which almost certainly means you didn't follow the instructions for version 0.10 of ps3mencoder:

chocolateboy wrote:[This version] supports a configuration file. Save it as ps3mencoder.conf (or ps3mencoder.yml if you prefer) in the same directory as your PMS.conf e.g. C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\ on Windows. ps3mencoder still works without it, but you'll need it if you want to stream Apple trailers.

In future (and this applies to everyone), please post your ps3mencoder.log logfile for help with troubleshooting. That's what it's for.
Last edited by chocolateboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 pm

beagle wrote:Has anybody else come across the problem I am experiencing and more importantly how to solve it.

I have even tried installing URI.pm in the location that its is looking but even this fails to resolve the problem. I've uninstalled and re-installed Java, Ps3media and Perl with no results.

The error is occuring for both the .exe ps3mencoder versions.

Arrrrrgggghhhh it was working before!!!!!

I think I've figured this out. The ps3mencoder .exe works by unpacking perl, the ps3mencoder Perl script, and all the libraries it requires to a temp directory. If ps3mencoder.exe was interrupted before it could be unpacked then that would explain the missing library (URI.pm) error. As a temporary workaround:

• Download version 0.10 (i.e. Jan 9th, 2010) of ps3mencoder.exe and its configuration file as per the instructions in the README
  • clear out all the ps3mencoder.exe temp files: navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp (replace <username> with your Windows username) in Explorer
  • Delete any old files. You should have a folder called something like par-<username> e.g. par-beagle: delete it
  • Open a DOS prompt: Start -> run -> cmd.exe
  • Code: Select all
    cd C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32
  • Run ps3mencoder.exe from the command line to unpack its files to the temp directory:
    ps3mencoder.exe
    (make sure you give it enough time to unpack the libraries - usually a few seconds). Ignore the "No file given" error from mencoder (and the "can't exec mencoder.exe" error it triggers in ps3mencoder).

Now it's been fully unpacked It should work fine both from the command line and from PMS. It should be a lot faster too as subsequent calls won't have to unpack anything.

I'm working on a different approach to running ps3mencoder on Windows, probably using a .bat file, so this won't be an issue in future.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby lovswr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 pm

chocolateboy wrote:
lovswr wrote:I get the following:
MEncoder SVN-r30314-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
Resolving movies.apple.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server movies.apple.com[204.2.254.106]: 80...
Resolving www.apple.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.apple.com[96.16.37.15]: 80...
Cache size set to 16384 KBytes
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x5e7b

============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer

when I use the previous version of ps3mencoder, I get no errors & that file is encoded/created.

Somehow you have a version of MEncoder committed to Subversion less than 24 hours ago (the timestamp of the SVN-r30314-4.4.1 revision is 2010-01-15 21:01:31 +0000). I don't know how you got it, but it looks like it's not been compiled with the appropriate configure options to support QuickTime, and, as a build from a non-stable source snapshot, it might not work even with that support enabled.

Elsewhere on this forum, in the linux section, there are detailed instructions for getting & compiling the latest svn of mencoder. I did not realize it was so "bleeding edge" though. How would one back up a few versions to the latest stable release, or is this even possible.

chocolateboy wrote:Without more information - e.g. logfiles, and background on why you have a nonstandard mencoder - it's impossible to say why the old version of ps3mencoder works for you and the latest version doesn't. There's no difference between them in the detection of mencoder.

Yes, this is quite perplexing isn't it. Oh well I have a (sorta) workaround solution as of now.
lovswr

Postby chocolateboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:23 pm

lovswr wrote:How would one back up a few versions to the latest stable release, or is this even possible.

Change to the build directory and type:

sudo make uninstall

Then reinstall your distribution's mencoder:

sudo aptitude reinstall mencoder

lovswr wrote:Yes, this is quite perplexing isn't it.

No.
Last edited by chocolateboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby XLaX » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 am

First off, Thanks Chocolateboy for all of your work with ps3mencoder!!
I have read through this topic and cannot seem to get anything but "data corrupted" when I try to stream a youtube video, however.
I am fairly new to all of this so I am not sure where I am going wrong and appreciate any light anyone can shed on this for me.
Running
Mac OSX 10.5.8 - Intel dual core
latest PMS version (rev 369, I believe)
latest ps3mencoder bin from chocolateboy

I have the ps3mencoder.conf in the same directory as PMS.conf (I deleted the original which had references to avisynth and added only the mencoder_path line)
ps3mencoder resides in Users/XLaX/user/bin/ps3mencoder.
Mencoderweb is at the top of the list in PMS.
If I run ps3mencoder from the terminal I get an error saying that it can't find mencoder.
Trying to stream a video from you tube yields nothing in the ps3mencoder.log, so I am guessing that it is just not running. I have tried altering PMS.conf with no luck. Currently, the only line is mencoder_path = \/Users\/XLaX\/user\/bin\/ps3mencoder

Lastly, I would love to be able to stream shows from http://www.hulu.com. I obviously have not been able to test this, but would like to know... If I get ps3mencoder working would it be possible to stream shows or am I wasting my time?

Thanks
XLaX

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks for your feedback. Good to hear from a Mac user at last!

XLaX wrote:If I run ps3mencoder from the terminal I get an error saying that it can't find mencoder.

That's probably a bug in the Perl module that looks for mencoder. From its documentation:

Not tested on VMS or MacOS, although there is platform specific code for those. Anyone who haves a second would be very kind to send me a report of how it went.

So you're blazing a trail! Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Mac, so I'm not sure how to test a fix for the module. As a workaround, try putting ps3mencoder and mencoder in the same directory (and update the path in PMS.conf if you move ps3mencoder (and make sure ps3mencoder.conf is in the same directory as ps3mencoder)). I'll add a config option for the next release so that you can specify the mencoder path there.

Lastly, I would love to be able to stream shows from http://www.hulu.com. I obviously have not been able to test this, but would like to know... If I get ps3mencoder working would it be possible to stream shows or am I wasting my time?

Yes and no. Yes, it's possible, using the same approach ps3mencoder uses for YouTube. No, I'm not sure it's worth it. They "monetize" their Media RSS feed and have "blocked" Boxee for pecking at their bottom line. Plus, while I don't mind working around silly restrictions like Apple "requiring" QuickTime clients for its trailers, I'm not gonna go out of my way to access content that doesn't want to be seen:

Hulu wrote:Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby XLaX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 am

Thanks for the quick reply Chocolateboy! I understand the lack of motivation for hulu support, their loss.

try putting ps3mencoder and mencoder in the same directory (and update the path in PMS.conf if you move ps3mencoder (and make sure ps3mencoder.conf is in the same directory as ps3mencoder))

I have ps3mencoder and ps3mencoder.conf in the same directory as mencoder, currently : applications/PS3 Media Server.app/contents/resources/java/osx. I tried running ps3mencoder from the terminal again and I get the same error: "can't find mencoder"

I checked out the documentation from the cpan module of File::Which and didn't see any support for OSX, so I tried installing Darwin Ports, which has OSX support for File::Which. ps3mencoder would not compile after this, so I removed darwin ports and am back to my original error.

Is there another way I can locate mencoder besides using file::which?

Thanks again for the help
XLaX

Postby spiders » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 pm

I am having problems as well :(

I am on windows vista 64 home version

Have downloaded and installed strawberry perl

and have input from cmd prompt :

cpan -i File::Which IO::All List::MoreUtils PAR::Packer

it seems to be having problems with automated_pp_test.pl

it seems it cannot find podstrip.pm

# Did pp -o foo.exe "foo.pl" "bar.pl" produce foo.exe?
# '
# at automated_pp_test.pl line 7115.
t/20-pp.t ................ 5/34 Can't locate PAR/Filter/PodStrip.pm in @INC (@IN
C contains: C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib . C:\strawberry\perl\lib C:\strawberry
\perl\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry\
perl\vendor\lib C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib) at -e line 754, <_FH> chunk 1.
t/20-pp.t ................ 6/34 Can't locate PAR/Filter/PodStrip.pm in @INC (@IN
C contains: C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib . C:\strawberry\perl\lib C:\strawberry
\perl\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry\
perl\vendor\lib C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib) at -e line 754, <_FH> chunk 1.
t/20-pp.t ................ 10/34 Can't locate PAR/Filter/PodStrip.pm in @INC (@I
NC contains: C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib . C:\strawberry\perl\lib C:\strawberr
y\perl\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib C:\strawberry
\perl\vendor\lib C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib) at -e line 754, <_FH> chunk 1.

t/20-pp.t ................ 11/34 # Failed test 'pp_minus_e_print_hello

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/20-pp.t (Wstat: 4608 Tests: 34 Failed: 18)
Failed tests: 1, 3, 11, 14-22, 24-28, 34
Non-zero exit status: 18
t/30-current_exec.t (Wstat: 256 Tests: 4 Failed: 1)
Failed test: 2
Non-zero exit status: 1
Files=5, Tests=71, 258 wallclock secs ( 0.06 usr + 0.03 sys = 0.10 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 2/5 test programs. 19/71 subtests failed.
dmake.EXE: Error code 255, while making 'test_dynamic'
SMUELLER/PAR-Packer-1.002.tar.gz
C:\strawberry\c\bin\dmake.EXE test -- NOT OK
//hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module, try:
reports SMUELLER/PAR-Packer-1.002.tar.gz
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

C:\strawberry>

any ideas as I am stumped :(
spiders

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support