dvr-ms files streaming problem

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

dvr-ms files streaming problem

Postby sdka » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:09 am

Hi,
I installed PMS and it works great as long as I play SD format files - stored as dvr-ms (recorded using MCE). When I use it to play HD files, it stutters a lot. Since I am using Wireless, I thought I will setup a max bandwidth and change the transcode settings to medium quality. However, it seems to make no difference. I still see that the peak bitrate (and the average bitrate) is well above the max that I setup (as reported on the status page).
Thx,
sdka
sdka

Re: dvr-ms files streaming problem

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 am

DVR-MS are remuxed, and not reencoded. That means the video part is unchanged and you can't change the bitrate. And even if you could, I don't think you would have great results
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby sdka » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:34 am

Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply.

Can you please elaborate as to what you mean by the following:
"That means the video part is unchanged and you can't change the bitrate. And even if you could, I don't think you would have great results"

I was hoping to use off-line transcode (non real-time) - perhaps use vlc and then use PMS to stream.
Thx,
sdka
sdka

Postby shagrath » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 am

reduce the bitrate of an HD stream to stream it wirelessly makes no sense to me... it's better to get a clean SD recording imho
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Help and Support