help for a dummy

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

help for a dummy

Postby locorocco » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 am

Hi,

Congratulations for this software!!! It will be very usefull to me!!!!! :D
...but I have questions (sorry, I need a "PS3MS for dummies"!!!! :lol: )...

I installed PS3MS and it works very well!!! And I would like to know:
How the connection between my PS3 and my computer is done? directly? or trough my modem (both are already connected to my modem)? How can I know? (I just installed PS3MS and... it was done...)

Does every PS3 of neighborhood can browse my computer? And how can I secure the connection?

Sorry, the questions are very low level...
and sorry for my english which quite bad... :oops:

maybe there is a tutorial to answer those questions, but I didn't find it :?
locorocco

Re: help for a dummy

Postby johnj2803 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

for your question of how the ps3 and computer is connected its through your network. Answer this, how does your computer and PS3 connect to the internet? the answer is your network. so be it wired or wireless, that is your small network.

for the question if every PS3 in your neighborhood can browse your computer... it depends actually.... If your network is secure enough, i doubt that any ps3 can browse your network. So the security of your media server connection is as secure as your network connection. since in order for them to see your computer thru their ps3 they have to be connected to your network... :D

hope this helps...

DISCLAIMER: I have not tested this personally but in theory this is how it works :D
johnj2803

Postby AidyD » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Thats quite interesting actually -

i simply DLed and installed the media server on my pc, then with my ps3 did a search for media servers... and it came up. (wireless)

so on that basis, the guy upstairs with his ps3 could turn on his to search for media servers.. and find mine.

there are no passwords to access this ps3 media server - its all open from the word go.

im now scared and will be deleting all incriminating evidence from my pc.
AidyD

Postby locorocco » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:11 am

johnj2803 wrote:for the question if every PS3 in your neighborhood can browse your computer... it depends actually.... If your network is secure enough, i doubt that any ps3 can browse your network. So the security of your media server connection is as secure as your network connection. since in order for them to see your computer thru their ps3 they have to be connected to your network... :D

I see... so, as my computer is connected to my modem via a secured wireless network, as my PS3 is... no problem...
I will try to turn off my modem and see what will happen... I will tell you... ;)
Thanks for your help!!!!
locorocco

Postby locorocco » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:33 am

OK!!!! It works via my modem. If I switch it off, it doesn't work anymore!!!!! :D
So al is protected, as my network is protected... but I cannot read anything (music, videos,...) so I'm going to search the forum for answers!!!! :?
locorocco

Return to General Help and Support