Can't get PS3 to use 1Gbit LAN speeds.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can't get PS3 to use 1Gbit LAN speeds.

Postby Mustache Mustard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 am

Hello,

I have problems getting PS3 to transfer files over 1Gbit LAN with 1Gbit speeds.

Let me first share some information with my setup, so you will be up-to-date with the situation.

- PMS running on my Ubuntu server 10.04 box. Box has 1Gbit LAN ethernet port. Box is connected with CAT5e network cable to my router.
- Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router / wireless AP ( IEEE 802.11b/g/n + 4x10/100/1000 Mbps ).
- Laptop running Windows 7. Connected with wireless 802.11n to my router.
- PS3 (80GB FAT) connected with CAT6 network cable to my router. ( I have tested both CAT5e & CAT6 -cables, now using CAT6 ).

My Ubuntu box is running PMS and Samba. I can transfer files from my laptop to my Samba share over wireless N -network at the speeds of ~20MB/s ( ~200 Mbps network ). I can also transfer files from my Samba share to my laptop over the same wireless N -network around the same speeds ( ~20MB/s ).

But when I connect to PMS with my PS3 and start transferring some video file, the speeds never exceeds ~10MB/s. Never. I've set PS3 network settings manually to use 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, but it makes no difference.

I've also tested running PMS on my laptop over wireless N. And PS3 can't get speeds over ~10MB/s - just like with the PMS -> SERVER setup..

I've run ethtool on my server and it identifies my link as a 1000 Mbps, just as it should. Since I get ~20MB/s speeds with wireless N, I believe the problem is somewhere else than on my server end..

UPDATE: Forgot to write that I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware on my router, not the original that comes with it.

So, you guys have any ideas what might be the problem? I'm really running out of ideas..

( Sorry if this is wrong place for this post, my IMO, this belongs to general help and not under Linux support )
Mustache Mustard

Re: Can't get PS3 to use 1Gbit LAN speeds.

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Check for a duplex/MTU mismatch (either force all the duplexes or leave them all on auto) and the specs of the hdd in the PS3 (if you're actually copying files to it and not just playing them).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Mustache Mustard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 pm

meskibob wrote:Check for a duplex/MTU mismatch (either force all the duplexes or leave them all on auto) and the specs of the hdd in the PS3 (if you're actually copying files to it and not just playing them).

Hi,

here is the output from "ethtool eth0":

Code: Select all
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
        Link detected: yes

MTU's match.

I don't know what I should be looking for at the PS3 HDD specs. Did u mean that if there is free space? Yes, there is free space. I'm not streaming the video file(s) from my server, I'm copying them via PMS.

All ideas are welcome : )
Mustache Mustard

Postby Mustache Mustard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 pm

What I found out tonight ( this maybe old news for some, but new for me ): copying moves files only at ~10MB/s, when streaming peaks sometimes near ~40MB/s.

I guess this is normal?
Mustache Mustard

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Probably. It's HDD access speeds vs memory access speeds.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Solaris » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:00 pm

i have the same problem with these :( when streaming with i5 2.27 Ghz ddr3 2 gb memory with java 32 bit and 798 memory setting and win 7 x64. But fixed with new server amd phenom II x6 1055t dd2 2 GB memory,win 7 x64,java 64 bit with 1028 memory setting,on the setting i set to use all 6 core,the transcoding thing do really takes processor power NOT memory,from these 6 cores it use thoughtfully 70-80% of all cores,and it used only 850-900mb from maximum setting 1028mb,i test this with ironman 2 1080p rip ,but strange thing happened with bitrate,it downs 20-30% from original that are run on the laptop :/ but the quality still crips,max bitrate 120mbps from ps3 reading and on ps3mediaserver ~241mbps.

My Network Config :

Code: Select all
PS3       Server
 |          |
 |Cat 6     | Cat 5
 |          |
eth1      eth6
 |__________|_________
        Mikrotik RB1100
Solaris

Postby givemesam » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 pm

even though this was years ago. I figured i would reply to this since i saw it and i know about rb1100's

They are very finniky with the interface speeds set on each port

For example, i had trouble with them connecting at 100mbps to a fiber media converter. THey would auto to 10. I had to fix the port to 100/100 full for it to stay connected. very scary

But after that it worked fine. For my laptop to connect to the rb at 1000 i had to set BOTH the RB and the laptop to 1000FULL fixed.

This is a pain becuase if i plugged my laptop into anything else it had to be auto

What i found is it you can get the RB to negotiate to a gig switch at 1000 via fixing it to 1000full, the switch would take care of auto negotiation from then on.

Cool

Sam
givemesam

Return to General Help and Support