When to use Mencoder

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

When to use Mencoder

Postby coronanlime » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm

I typically use tsmuxer anytime I am watchng an mkv file. It seems to be the only one that works for me. the only time I have used mencoder is when i have had a divx file that didnt work properly and transcoded it that way. My question is 2 fold. What is the purpose of mencoder and the other transcoders when you tsmuxer? And why when I watch 720p mkv on tsmuxer is streams great, but on mencoder it does not.

I use wifi and my computer has 4 gb ram, 2.2 ghz cor duo
coronanlime

Re: When to use Mencoder

Postby ExSport » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Read more here in forum and you will know why MEncoder shutter you on your WIFI...
ExSport

Postby coronanlime » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 pm

ExSport wrote:Read more here in forum and you will know why MEncoder shutter you on your WIFI...

Well i underrstand it stutters cause of the wifi, but is there a benefit to transcoding rather than muxing or vice versa is what i am wondering
coronanlime

Postby ExSport » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:36 am

MUX if you can but when your video will not play(black picture, file not supported etc.) then your last chance is transcoding.
But always prefer muxing which is less cpu/network intensive and quality is better because no recoding is done ;)
But this info is repeated in every forum here so, why you are wondering? :mrgreen:
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support