No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby denial512 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Scepticer wrote:Second change:
Replaced mencoder_mt.exe in the "ps3 media server\win32\" directory with mencoder.exe (yes, renamed file to _mt.exe).

So does the _mt version of the binary actually exist aside from the file from the PS3MS installer?
denial512

Postby Gareee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:59 pm

It looks like he just copied the same basic mencoder.exe file, and added the _MT addition to the name.
Gareee

Postby denial512 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Gareee wrote:It looks like he just copied the same basic mencoder.exe file, and added the _MT addition to the name.

Right. But I'm just wondering if there really exists some other compiled version named memcoder_mt.exe.
denial512

Postby Gareee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Long as it uses all cores to decode, would there be any difference?

We found when streaming our computer's horsepower was a non issue.. the router, (and the bridge we ended up adding to the ps3) made the biggest differences when it comes to smooth playback.
Gareee

Postby jasa67 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I have tried to switch the file mencoder_mt.exe with the new mencoder file and its working perfect with the sound :)
But there is akways a but.. the subtitles stoped working on all of the movies :(
So its not super yet, something is missing in the newer file. :?
jasa67

Postby Scepticer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Gareee wrote:It looks like he just copied the same basic mencoder.exe file, and added the _MT addition to the name.

Not exactly, check the links I provided. The second points towards "MPlayer-p4-svn-31878-mt.7z". Notice "mt" in there. I assume this is a later multi-thread version(?). Could be wrong though. EDIT: The file inside that is not called mencoder_mt.exe, only mencoder.exe. That's why I renamed it. Figured that is what the PMS developer also did once upon a time just to separate them and provide both versions with PMS...

Subtitles work for me together with my previous post IF the checkmark for "ASS/SSA subtitles" is removed.

Not saying this is THE solution, just wanted to share my findings so far.
Scepticer

Postby jasa67 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 pm

You have right Scepticer, it works!
Thank you so much!!
Now is everything as it were before this problem. :)
jasa67

Postby Scepticer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Good to hear! :)

As a side note. As pointed out in the main page here by the guy doing the mencoder builds; AMD, AMD64 & Athlon users should benefit in performance if they use the "athlon / ahtlon-xp mt" versions instead (MPlayer-athlon-svn-31878.7z & MPlayer-athlon-xp-svn-31878-mt.7z). Haven't checked performance difference but they work too on my AMD64x2.

I also want to add that I'm not involved in the PMS project in any way. This seems to work fine so far for me but I have no clue what other possible side effects there might be by replacing these three .exe's.
Scepticer

Postby Gareee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 am

Anyone else finding that using this workaround that you can no longer play some avi files? I can play them on my pc, but when I try to stream them, they show thumbnails, but it comes back as unplayable corrupted data error messages.

If I add the avi extension to the transcode exceptions most will play fine, but an occasional one will not.
Gareee

Postby nizzon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 am

The workaround didn't work for me. Changed files but now I can't play any mkv's. Either corrupt data or blackscreen with no sound.

The other workaround using mkclean works for me however.
nizzon

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support