Movies OK, photo and MP3 not working -- solved!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Movies OK, photo and MP3 not working -- solved!

Postby jopemoro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am

I'm having trouble getting the photos and MP3s to show on the PS3 menu. When I go into a folder with pictures or music the XMB just waits and I eventually get a "DLNA error 2006".

Movie folders work great since day 1. This happened on 1.02 and now on 1.03.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Anything I can do to help look into this?

Tx!
Last edited by jopemoro on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jopemoro

Re: Movies OK, photo and MP3 not working

Postby Irvysan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 pm

jopemoro wrote:I'm having trouble getting the photos and MP3s to show on the PS3 menu. When I go into a folder with pictures or music the XMB just waits and I eventually get a "DLNA error 2006".

Movie folders work great since day 1. This happened on 1.02 and now on 1.03.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Anything I can do to help look into this?

Tx!

Just a question as you have not mentioned it, which heading are you selecting in the XMB when looking at your music/pics?
Irvysan

Postby jopemoro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the corresponding menu category for each: music for MP3 and Photo for Pictures.

I'm happy to try any ideas... :)
jopemoro

Postby Irvysan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Could you provide more info re. your hw setup : OS, Wlan etc.? is UPNP network discovery is enabled on your computer? Correct folder shared in PMS?
Irvysan

Postby jopemoro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Yes, sorry, I should have done it from the start, I just though it would be something obvious I was missing.

Setup:
Windows Vista, 4 cores, 4Gb memory
Wireless connection to PS3 (Linksys WAG54GS)
Music, pictures and movies are in a LAN drive, all directories shared individually (\\LAN drive\public\movies, \\LAN drive\public\music, \\LAN drive\public\pictures, etc...).
Movies play perfectly since day 1 'out of the box', no tweaks needed. I have separate directories for movies and series, and no problems at all.
uPnP enabled.

However, while movies work perfectly, transcoded and not transcoded, no luck with music and pictures.

In the meanwhile, I've searched the forum for similar issues, and someone mentioned there could be a problem if too many files were present in the top directory. I've tried removing all files into a folder in 'Pictures', and it now seems to be working. Could it be that, even if you go further down a directory, PSM is still trying to read all files in the top directory and times out? (There were possibly over 100 yet unclassified pictures in the top directory).

I'll try to drop all MP3s into folders and retry and repost in case it works so that we can let everyone know.
jopemoro

Postby Irvysan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:04 pm

jopemoro wrote:Yes, sorry, I should have done it from the start, I just though it would be something obvious I was missing.

Setup:
Windows Vista, 4 cores, 4Gb memory
Wireless connection to PS3 (Linksys WAG54GS)
Music, pictures and movies are in a LAN drive, all directories shared individually (\\LAN drive\public\movies, \\LAN drive\public\music, \\LAN drive\public\pictures, etc...).
Movies play perfectly since day 1 'out of the box', no tweaks needed. I have separate directories for movies and series, and no problems at all.
uPnP enabled.

However, while movies work perfectly, transcoded and not transcoded, no luck with music and pictures.

In the meanwhile, I've searched the forum for similar issues, and someone mentioned there could be a problem if too many files were present in the top directory. I've tried removing all files into a folder in 'Pictures', and it now seems to be working. Could it be that, even if you go further down a directory, PSM is still trying to read all files in the top directory and times out? (There were possibly over 100 yet unclassified pictures in the top directory).

I'll try to drop all MP3s into folders and retry and repost in case it works so that we can let everyone know.

I'm a bit confused re. your sharing folders here is my settings :
Irvysan

Re: Movies OK, photo and MP3 not working -- solved!

Postby jopemoro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Yes, my shares are similar, the only difference is that I have everything on a network drive. But since movies are working, that shouldn't be the issue.

What I did is I tried removing all MP3 files from the root folder shared, and it now works, as it did for pictures.

So it looks like the DLNA 2006 error is a timeout if you have too many files in the top folder you are sharing. This should probably be documented somwhere. How can I help in doing that?
jopemoro

Postby Irvysan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm

jopemoro wrote:Yes, my shares are similar, the only difference is that I have everything on a network drive. But since movies are working, that shouldn't be the issue.

What I did is I tried removing all MP3 files from the root folder shared, and it now works, as it did for pictures.

So it looks like the DLNA 2006 error is a timeout if you have too many files in the top folder you are sharing. This should probably be documented somwhere. How can I help in doing that?

Your probably right, you see inside each of my sharing folders all my mp3 albums are in diff folders.... if ppl read this thread they will have the answer!
Irvysan

Postby Liste » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi..I have the same problem. Movies have always worked, but none of my photos or mp3s seem to be seen by the PS3. None of the files are in the root folder...all in separate folders.............Any ideas?
Liste

Postby meskibob » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Make sure you're in the appropriate section of the PS3 XMB for the media you're trying to view.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Next

Return to General Help and Support