buffer not filling up, resulting in studdering

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: buffer not filling up, resulting in studdering

Postby Konceptz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 am

booyah wrote:I have no problem with my buffer not filling and I can push 1080i H.264 in either TS or m2ts containers.

Thats exactly my point, they have to have some other issue going on. Because his hardware should be fine. He might run into issues trying to rewind and fast forward transcoded content because that requires a fast CPU and memory.
Konceptz

Postby bebobman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 am

OK, so let me get this straight, if I want to stream 1080p video I have to pause the video and wait until the buffer bar fills up. I did this, it takes a good five minutes for the buffer to fill then I can watch about ten minutes more of video and then I have to wash, rinse, repeat again. Not a very enjoyable way to watch a movie. There has got to be a better way. Is there any way to increase the buffer size or the speed at which it re-builds? I don't care if I have to wait 20-30 minutes at the beginning of a movie - it's still better than watching ten minutes of a movie ( btw, I am waiting for the buffer to fill up again while I write this post) and then have to wait again after watching another ten minutes of video ( The Big Lebowski - verrry funny :D ). What perplexes me the most is some 1080p movies I have ( .mkv, avc3, aac, no DTS) work perfectly, no stuttering, fantastic picture (on my 61" Samsung 1080p DLP tv), excellent 5.1 sound, so why is it that some movies stutter and some don't?

AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ 2gigs ram, hard wired from PS3 to my router (Linksys WRT54-TM)

EDIT: actually, it's about six or seven minutes of video, not ten, before I have to fill up the buffer again. Will this whole buffering problem go away if I get a faster CPU, i.e. dual or quad core, 2.8 or higher? as I would gladly upgrade my entire rig if this buffering problem would cease to exist.

EDIT#2 BTW, Don't even think of rewinding while watching a movie cause it will completely dump your buffer and you'll have to re-load it again.
bebobman

Postby Pierre » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 pm

I have the same problems.
The older the PS3MS version, the better.
More recent versions have actually worsened instead of bettered.

Please, If something is working, keep it working,
why always included so called "updated third parties".

It is known for programs like Memcoder, FFDShow, Avisynth,
that the latest versions are pure bugfests.
Pierre

Postby shagrath » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:50 pm

bebobman wrote:AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ 2gigs ram, hard wired from PS3 to my router (Linksys WRT54-TM)

this is not powerful enough to transcode 1080p in real time.
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby omel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm

shagrath wrote:
bebobman wrote:AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ 2gigs ram, hard wired from PS3 to my router (Linksys WRT54-TM)

what is the minimum requirement to see 1080p
omel

Postby tinmanuk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:45 pm

omel wrote:
shagrath wrote:

what is the minimum requirement to see 1080p

Dual core AMD 4200+ and 4 gig of ram works well for me
tinmanuk

Postby gastric » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:05 pm

omel wrote:what is the minimum requirement to see 1080p

You can see a variety of hardware configurations and results posted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129
gastric

Postby nanfeldt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Found a solution to my problem as my USB drive supported FW400 as well

Below are screendumps of performance tests i made on the same unit. (huge performace difference)

USB 2.0

FW400
nanfeldt

Postby pancakeman86 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 am

Does using a usb drive under the "optimize for performance" provide significant performance improvements. I think this is my problem.

My specs are 3.16 gHz intel core2 duo with 5 gigs of ram. And I get a lot stuttering over the network over 100 mbit lan. I hooked up my ps3 and computer directly via cross over cable to utilized the 1 gbit ethernet. I have the cards, but not the routers...anyway even at 1 gbit I get massive stuttering. I can't see why a usb hard drive causes problems. The transfer rate on usb hard drives is around what ? like 400 mbits...shudn't this be fast enough ?

And even if I change it to "optimize for performance" does this have any impact on the hard drive ? Does it have slower write speeds or does it make it more prone to data loss. I just want to know the drawback of using that setting.
pancakeman86

Postby zomgheals » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:26 am

i use 3.0ghz c2d and 4gb ram over wifi without stutter :P
zomgheals

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support