buffer not filling up, resulting in studdering

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

buffer not filling up, resulting in studdering

Postby suzook » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi i am new to this program, coming from tversity. this is a great program, but my buffer does not fill up, it stays at the min, which results in studdering playback. I have a core2 2.6 on vista with 2gb of ram, running a raid with 20gb free space. does anyone know why my buffer wont fill up?

Edit. i guess you have to pause the movie a little to fill up the buffer? that seems to work. Is this what everyone does?
suzook

Re: buffer not filling up, resulting in studdering

Postby tongkk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes, if your CPU not fast enough, you need to pause the movie at the beginning and let the buffer to fill up, the slower the CPU, the large the buffer needed, For my Q9300 Quad-core CPU, I still need to wait until the 500 M buffer full , otherwise 1080p mkv with subtitle and DTS will lag. 720 p is OK, no need to pause the movie at the beginning.
tongkk

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Never had to do it on Q6600. Also beginning part of movies is almost black = low bitrates so PMS have time to buffer frames before PS3 will request them...
ExSport

Postby nanfeldt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 am

Using a similar setup with a laptop i dumbed in the basement and i have the same issue when i play HD 1080p from a USB harddrive.

Funny thing is it seems to work well when i use the built-in 2.5" HD as source for mkv's

But what really annoys me is that even though i let the buffer fill up to 600 and start playback with a full buffer, its only around 10 minutes before the buffer is empty again, looking at the cores i have an avarage 65% load encoding

Any thoughts?
nanfeldt

Postby Subject2Change » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:38 pm

USB Harddrives transfer rates have terrible transfer rates. Can you play the files from the Hard Drive on the laptop with ease? USB isn't really utilized much due to its limitations in the video world often Firewire and eSATA are the dominate market.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby nanfeldt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 am

Subject2Change wrote:USB Harddrives transfer rates have terrible transfer rates. Can you play the files from the Hard Drive on the laptop with ease? USB isn't really utilized much due to its limitations in the video world often Firewire and eSATA are the dominate market.

Actually made some changes on the usb drives setup in XP so that the USB drive is now optimised for perfomance over removal, helped a bit as i can now play them using MEncode but still strutters in AVISYNTH
nanfeldt

Postby omel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

nanfeldt wrote:
Subject2Change wrote:USB Harddrives transfer rates have terrible transfer rates. Can you play the files from the Hard Drive on the laptop with ease? USB isn't really utilized much due to its limitations in the video world often Firewire and eSATA are the dominate market.

Actually made some changes on the usb drives setup in XP so that the USB drive is now optimised for perfomance over removal, helped a bit as i can now play them using MEncode but still strutters in AVISYNTH

what changes did you make to make that happen
omel

Postby nanfeldt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:42 pm

omel wrote:
nanfeldt wrote:

what changes did you make to make that happen

In disk manager (right click my computer -> manage -> Navigate to storage -> Disk management) right click your usb disk and choose properties, on the tap policies you can select "Optimize for performance"
nanfeldt

Postby Konceptz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm

i dunno why you guys have to wait for the buffer to fill to get stutter free playback, I've tested this with one of the 1080p stress testing videos on the forum and i get playback as soon as the buffer reaches what you see in the screenshot.
mediasvr.jpg
mediasvr.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Konceptz

Postby booyah » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm

I have no problem with my buffer not filling and I can push 1080i H.264 in either TS or m2ts containers.
booyah

Next

Return to General Help and Support