Best way to setup PS3 and PS3 Media Server with what I have

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Best way to setup PS3 and PS3 Media Server with what I have

Postby Flarke » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 am

Hi guys I have just come upon this awesome program and am looking for some advice. I have a high def mkv video file on my laptop that I would like to stream to my PS3 (which is in my entertainment room in the basement). Upon installing PS3 Media Server I was pleased to see that the file did indeed play on the PS3 (had no luck with any other program) but it skipped quite a bit as if it were buffering continuously. I have since discovered that the problem must lie in the PS3's wireless g card so I am thinking a wired connection would be better.

With the devices I have at my disposal (Laptop, Desktop upstairs that could be routed downstairs with ethernet cable, Wireless Router, PS3) what would you do to optimize the PS3/PS3 Media Server "experience"?

Device Specs:
Laptop
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 1.67GHz
Ram: 2GB
Internet Connection: Wireless

Desktop
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X 2 dual core 3GHz
Ram: 3GB
Internet Connection: Wired

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Edit: For example would I connect a computer that is already connected to the router to the PS3 and if so would a faster comp provide more benefit? If so than would it be best to use the desktop, connect a separate ethernet cable to the desktop and then run it to the PS3?
Flarke

Re: Best way to setup PS3 and PS3 Media Server with what I have

Postby meskibob » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:21 am

Wired is always better than wireless. 100mbit should work in most cases except for some 1080P's where gigabit is necessary. As for your two PC specs, your desktop is better, and if it's already ready to be wired to the router, then just go with that :)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Best way to setup PS3 and PS3 Media Server with what I have

Postby Flarke » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 am

I'll pick up a gigabit cable next time I'm out, thanks a lot eh!
Flarke

Return to General Help and Support