For those with stuttering problem, check your net strength!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

For those with stuttering problem, check your net strength!

Postby replica469 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:08 am

Hi all,

Just hope to share my experience with all of you since PS3 Media Server is such a useful program.

For those of you running on wireless-g and wondering why is it still stuttering since it's 54Mbps?

Problem: Stuttering 1024i,p videos, 720p fine.

Solution: Check your wireless signal STRENGTH and speed. Although both router and wireless card is 54mbps-capable, however if the strength is weak, sometimes it will downgrade the RECEIVE and TRANSMIT strength like 24mpbs, 16mps etc. I suffered from this problem because my plasma is on level 1 and my PC is on lvl 2 so the signal was not too good. I adjusted the wireless card until I could get at least 48mbps constant and I could watch all videos at transcoder GOOD QUALITY above GOOD QUALITY for HD-Wifi.

Without a good signal strength and speed, adjusting the Maximum Bandwidth really didn't work for me as I realised sometimes my wireless speed dropped until 12mpbs,etc.

Hope this helps everyone as although I considered myself a PC expert, this stuttering problem had me scratching my head for weeks.
replica469

Re: For those with stuttering problem, check your net strength!

Postby ExSport » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:40 pm

You broke the world record in maximum speed for 54G WIFI ;)
54Mbit is only theoretical! Wireless have big overhead so for fastest 54G hardware in the world it is not possible to achieve 30Mbit/s. It is no-go ;) The best hw on the market can achieve about 25Mbit max.
Also PS3 WIFI is not good so maximum throughput you can achieve is 10-15Mbit, in real ;)
Better signal strenght, more stable speed and better throughput, but not more than posted above...
ExSport

Postby Joksi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 pm

True thing about the PS3 hardware.
But not completely true that 30Mbps is impossible on G54.
I have a througput of 28-30Mbps on my WLAN, when in the same room. When entering another room, it decreases to 25Mbps and when entering third room away from the router in my apartment i reach about 20Mbps.
Joksi

Postby ExSport » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm

When you will use more precise monitoring you will see that maximum is about 28Mbit, if not then you are using proprietary turbospeed/super g/compression features but it is not compatible between different brands. ;)
Yes, you can achieve theoretical speed 54Gbit * 2 = up to 108 Mbit but in this case for transfers it is needed two antenas and it took also 2 channels for communication.
Most powerful are Mikrotik and Artheros hw when talking about widely selled wifi routers(2.4Ghz) with 25+ Mbits max(without any non standart proprietary addons)
ExSport

Postby Joksi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:12 pm

As I said, my maximum troughput is 30Mbps (=3,75MB/s)
Joksi

Postby ExSport » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:47 pm

As I said you have to use turbospeed/super g etc. to achieve stable 30Mbits ;)
But as I said, imposible when talking about PS3. PS3 doesn't support SuperG etc. so first post is not real!
What router are you using?
Maybe you don't understand me. I never said that with 54G router it is not possible to achieve more than 30Mbit. Yes, it is possible but only when using 54g(108Mbit) router with SuperBoost/Super G etc., not without it!
EDIT:Also to be clear, I am talking about TCP throughput, not UDP.
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support