Subtitles not showing up

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Subtitles not showing up

Postby blackstar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 am

Hi, I am unable to have subtitles load up when I play .avi files.

In the title of the .avi in the ps3 menu is says Subtitles found, but when I play the .avi file nothing shows up.

What could be causing this? I tried many different .avi files (most of them are .srt based and the are named correctly).

Thanks.

BTW, this software rocks, only reason why I bought the PS3.
blackstar

Re: Subtitles not showing up

Postby caf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm

Hello

I do not know what the problem is but ...
You can join the subtitles and the movie in one file. Use the following
http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

It takes not more then 2 minutes.

"AVIAddXSubs is a simple to use, free program to incorporate subtitles (XSUB) from .srt (ANSI text, up to 8 srt) and idx/sub (containing up to 8 subtitles) quickly and easily to your avi files containing DivX/XVid video streams"

The program will incorporate the subtitles, It does not BURN them in the film.

Caf
caf

Postby blackstar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 am

Thanks a lot! Worked perfectly!
blackstar

Postby Magic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi there,

Got kinda the same problem but only whith movie's that are DvD-ripped.
I got ther a video_ts map en than i do transcode, but no subs turn up there,
and if i burn the movie to a DvD than play i got all de subs..??

can anyboddy help me whith this problem, i hope its a setting..

I use PSM 1.04, whith a dual core / 4 gig, so i think ma comp its not the problem..

P.s Sorry for ma bad englisch , ia am a dutch 14 boy.. :D

Greats Patrick
Magic

Postby Magic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Maybi that i am not quite clear off it,

Example, ive downloaded saving private rian :

Source - Retail
Audio - 5.1 DD
laguage - Engels
Subs - Dutch

There is a menu in it whith all subs and languages german/italian , and subs.
Now i gow whith ma playstation to the dirrectory of that movie and click on encode, there are 4 things i can choose 2 whitout sounds and all whith no subtitels,
ive downloaded a srt file off that movie whith dutch subtitels and put it in the directory, whith the same name as the first file (Video_001.vob example)
I try to play it again, but now i got subs but the subs are 10 minutus behind de movie....
Its weird cous i can play movies whith eehrm inbaken subs, i hope i wrote it good, that will work whith no behind problem..

And its not 1 movie, same whith kingkong etc. etc. all original dvd retail rips..
Hope that i wos clear now ... lol, 40 minutes tooked me off writing it hehehehe.. :lol:
Magic

Postby Savage_Henry » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Magic wrote:Maybi that i am not quite clear off it,

Example, ive downloaded saving private rian :

Source - Retail
Audio - 5.1 DD
laguage - Engels
Subs - Dutch

There is a menu in it whith all subs and languages german/italian , and subs.
Now i gow whith ma playstation to the dirrectory of that movie and click on encode, there are 4 things i can choose 2 whitout sounds and all whith no subtitels,
ive downloaded a srt file off that movie whith dutch subtitels and put it in the directory, whith the same name as the first file (Video_001.vob example)
I try to play it again, but now i got subs but the subs are 10 minutus behind de movie....
Its weird cous i can play movies whith eehrm inbaken subs, i hope i wrote it good, that will work whith no behind problem..

And its not 1 movie, same whith kingkong etc. etc. all original dvd retail rips..
Hope that i wos clear now ... lol, 40 minutes tooked me off writing it hehehehe.. :lol:

First set up ps3mediaserver language priorities like this:
Save and restart the server.

Then go to your movie in your ps3 and make sure the name of the movie is [DVD ISO] VIDEO_TS [saving private ryan] or something like that.
When you open that folder you will see a couple of files: Title 1 [MEncoder] Title 2, Title 3,... Pick the file with the correct movie length now it should start playing the movie with english audio and nl subs. If for some reason you would like other subtitles or a different audio track go to the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and again pick the correct Title folder and there you will find different subtitle options and audio tracks.
Do not mix srt files with dvd ISO it will only screw thing up and complicate things further so before trying remove the srt files from your VIDEO_TS folder
Savage_Henry

Postby wegkwijt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 pm

I had the same problem. It said subtitles found but the didnt showed up while streaming a movie. What helped for me was opening the srt file in notepad. Saving it as ANSI instead of unicode and it worked fine.
wegkwijt

Postby shagrath » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:08 pm

wegkwijt wrote:I had the same problem. It said subtitles found but the didnt showed up while streaming a movie. What helped for me was opening the srt file in notepad. Saving it as ANSI instead of unicode and it worked fine.

nice find !
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Magic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for the tips,

i go try it out the first thing iam home,
i have experiment yester day whith dvd shrink, i opend the folder whith it and load it,
than i remove the other subz and lauguages and make the videots folder to a iso.
Than i got to try it out, ive trided 1 movie and it works!!
But if its can do automatalici i gotta try that!

thaks for the support..

Greets Patrick
Magic

Postby wolfe » Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm not much for oneliners but the 'Save as ANSI' trick did it for me as well. The movie actually started showing the subs mid movie when I re-saved the .srt :)
So thank you for the tip, wegkwijt.
wolfe

Return to General Help and Support