Can I get DTS-MA, TrueHD etc when streaming?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can I get DTS-MA, TrueHD etc when streaming?

Postby Swede69 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi!

I wonder if it is possible to get DTS-MA, TrueHD and other HD-formats using PS3mediaserver?
Swede69

Re: Can I get DTS-MA, TrueHD etc when streaming?

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:01 pm

actually there's some new possibilities to stream 24 bits DTS, but it's too early to tell if DTS-HD MA and True HD can be streamed with the same trick
I would say yes, but with the lack of high level tools to deal with this kind of files, it should be a while before it works
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby jetjock_fl » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:14 am

I have successfully streamed "The Devil Wears Prada" from my XP Pro PC to the PS3 using PS3MediaServer. The first audio track is reported by BDInfo as DTS-HD MA. It plays the correct language on the PS3 when I select transcode with MEncoder but not when just streamed without transcoding. If I try to play it on the PC, VLC doesn't even see the DTS-HD MA track and plays the next track, which is French.
jetjock_fl

Postby jetjock_fl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:32 pm

I would like to add. That although it played the correct language, I'm not sure at what precision it was being played at. I'm pretty sure it was just DTS as my receiver can only decode DTS and DD. That may not be Earth shattering for many of you wanting DTS MA but for many, just getting any audio from that track has been difficult. I'm very happy that PS3 Media Server was able to access that audio track when nothing else could.
jetjock_fl

Return to General Help and Support