Bandwith limit is ignored

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Bandwith limit is ignored

Postby harlekein » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 pm

The PC I use as a media server is AMD Sempron 2800 (2GHz) and has 1 GB of RAM. This is probably the bottleneck in my setup for streaming 720p films. I have an ethernet 100Mbits connection. All wired.

I have tried various settings on the PS3 Media Server, but when streaming HD content the bandwith seems to peek a lot. I have my options set to Best Quality and the bandwith limit to 35Mbits/s. When I play the movie on my PS3 it will stutter, when I press select I see the video data is going well over 80Mbits/s.

So it appears to me that the option is being ignored by PS3 MEdia Server. (v1.04)

I have tried MEncoder and Avisynth/MEncoder both. The problem occurs with both options.

Edit: I thought maybe the CPU was causing it, so I set the quality to low for low-end CPU, but stuttering still occurs. Even though the video bandwith stays low.
harlekein

Re: Bandwith limit is ignored

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Not familiar with sempron CPU , but I guess it's a litle too old to easily transcode 720p
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: Bandwith limit is ignored

Postby harlekein » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:45 pm

You may be right. I'll have to try it via my laptop which should be up for the job easily, but then I'll have to rethink my network setup.
harlekein

Return to General Help and Support