.m4v/.mp4 needs transcoded, until you change filename.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

.m4v/.mp4 needs transcoded, until you change filename.

Postby growlf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 am

I'm pretty confused by this.

First, all files play through TVersity or directly from the PS3 with no problem, no transcoding.

What I have is a DVD library that I'm slowly ripping to mp4 files (Handbrake). They are named .m4v or .mp4 - both work fine in TVersity, and occasionally in PS3 Media Server.

Here's the deal. If I go to play SOME files, it will show (I assume) they need to be transcoded (MPEG-1 versus AVC in the filelist). Trying to play these files fails... (unless I go to the TRANSCODE folder, but that's beside the point). If I change ANYTHING in the filename of these files, they will immediately show up as AVC files and play fine in PS3 Media Server.

ie.

Carlton-Browne of the FO.m4v (won't play)
Carlton-Browne of the FO .m4v (will play)
Carlton-Browne of the FO.mp4 (will play)
Carlton-Browne of the FO blahblah.m4v (will play)

Renaming the file back to the original name will render it unplayable again. Sometimes this occurs with .m4v, sometimes with .mp4 - there isn't any level of consistency. PS3 Media Server is running as a service under my account on Vista - Dual 3.2 Xeon. All avi files seem to be fine.
growlf

Re: .m4v/.mp4 needs transcoded, until you change filename.

Postby j2048b » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 am

see thats all kinda weird, because almost all of my movies are from handbrake in the m4v file format for apple tv, and when i load up version 1.04 it shows everything as avc files, and it wont play any of them unless i use the transcode folder, as well and in this version my files wont show up at all as tsmuxer's only mencoder whereas

in version 1 everything showed up as mpeg-2 files right away and in the transcode folder i saw tsmuxer, and mencoder files to choose from.

so maybe a few bugs since shagrath changed a vew items in the version 1.04?
j2048b

Return to General Help and Support