compatible with windows 2000?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

compatible with windows 2000?

Postby sevens4me » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am

I've been trying...Will this program work with windows 2000?[pentium 3-(1ghz) 512 ram NO internet connection] I want to try this program with my Win. 2000 machine (where all my video files are). I installed the program when I had an internet connection and also installed the java. Just got around to trying it with zero success. Doesn't see the ps3 and vice versa. Anything anyone can suggest to try? settings? I realize the inferiority of my outdated machine, don't want to transcode hd or anything, just share my non hd media. Thanks for any help.
sevens4me

Re: compatible with windows 2000?

Postby flutes » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 pm

The problem is probably UPnP which Win 2000 is not supposed to have. However...

I'm using it successfully on a 2.8ghz Celeron and 1gb of RAM with Win 2000 Pro, no internet connection. It worked pretty well from the default install (DVD resolution movies work beautifully) but I'm having some problems getting any video engine other than TsMuxer working.

How it worked so easily is a bit of a mystery as everything I'e read about UPnP says that it isn't supported on Win 2000. My guess is that another application I've installed has provided the UPnP service but I'm not sure what I've installed in the past that would have made this work - most likely candidates would be DirectX 9, Windows Media Play or TVersity but I can't really tell.

Sorry to not be much specific help - but take heart that I do have it running on Win 2k, even though I don't really know how.

(PS - Some other minor config things I had to do: firstly, I messed around for ages before realising that my PS3 was set to wireless networking, and I was using it over a wired network (duh); I had to force the computer's IP address both by making it static it in TCP/IP settings and then entering that in PS3 MEdia Server under the General Config tab.)
flutes

Re: compatible with windows 2000?

Postby sevens4me » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Thank you very much for the informative/helpful reply. I tried as you suggested and set a static IP on my pc and entered it under the gen. config. tab and...it worked! Unfortunately however, my ancient, coal powered processor can't handle the trancoding on the fly I think. I tried watching a custom ISO I had made with about 8-20 min. long titles and even after letting the progress bar fill all the way before attemting to watch any titles, I get a couple frames, then a long pause, couple more, etc. I also tried to copy one 20 min. title and after the progress bar filled up I waited another 1/2 hour and it still never copied anything, so I cancelled the copy operation. I guess I need a much more powerful machine to use this awesome application. Thanks again! and extra thanks to the creators!
sevens4me

Return to General Help and Support