mencoder_mt.exe paired with AviSynth not loading CPU 100%

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

mencoder_mt.exe paired with AviSynth not loading CPU 100%

Postby Seff » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm

First of all i'd like to say sorry if this topic was already mentioned elsewhare on the board.

I have the following situation. Sometimes I need to use Mencoder/AviSynth combo to encode files on the fly, not just Mencoder alone. And here is what i've noticed:

I've got my hands on a 1080p anime series which I needed to encode with MEncoder/AviSynth because for whatever reason MEncoder alone would not display external subtitles. I loaded MEncoder+AviSynth and found that the subtitles displayed just fine. However the video began to stagger in just a few seconds. I looked at the buffer and found out that it was empty. I switched to Mencoder alone - the buffer was fine (but no subtitles ;p) and CPU was loaded 90-100%. After that I switched to MEncoder+AviSynth again and opened up Windows Explorer to find that mencoder_mt.exe only loads the system up to 65-75% (just like the "standard definition" mencoder.exe should). Is there any possibility to make it to 100% maybe in the next release? Because I think this is the reason why the buffer is always low.
Seff

Re: mencoder_mt.exe paired with AviSynth not loading CPU 100%

Postby Pepijn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:41 pm

This has nothing to do with pms but with the 3rd party codec you have installed. If it doesnt support mt you wont get 100% load. You can try CoreAVC, to my knowledge the fastest h264 decoder.
Pepijn

Re: mencoder_mt.exe paired with AviSynth not loading CPU 100%

Postby Seff » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 am

Yep, that was just the case. Switched to CoreAVC (the new version has just been released for those intersted BTW) and got what I needed.
Thanks, Pepijn.
Seff

Return to General Help and Support