Windows 7 x64 + "Install as Windows Service"

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Windows 7 x64 + "Install as Windows Service"

Postby genie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm hitting some kind of limitation in Windows 7 x64 when I install the service.

The service starts just fine but there is no icon in system tray so that I can use it. I can see the server from my PS3 but I have no control over the server GUI.

I tried to start the service as myself but still nothing, the wrapper.exe process show as owned by me but I still don't see the icon in the system tray.

If I run "wrapper" in the command line the icon appears.

Did anybody face this problem? How to get around it?

Thanks
genie

Re: Windows 7 x64 + "Install as Windows Service"

Postby pairofdimes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi I ran into this same problem. Unsure of the fix.
pairofdimes

Postby otmanix » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby genie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 pm

otmanix, yes this is what I was doing but I still miss the flexibility I had in XP, even PS3MS was running as a service I was able to see the PS3MS icon in the system tray.

I was just asking if there is a way to permanently solve this not only a workaround, even the workaround is great.

Thanks.
genie

Postby otmanix » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm

If you want to have pms available at the desktop why bother about running it as a service? A service is meant to be running in background, even without user logon...
You can also put a pms shortcut to startup folder, run it minimized and forget about using a service.
Sorry, but I don't see your problem.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby lemmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:38 am

I know this is a very old topic, but unfortunately I was forced to upgrade my computer to Win7 (from XP) and I have also noticed that the tray icon is missing (using 1.91 PS3MS). So what is considered to be the best way to change a setting in PS3MS? Do you stop the service, launch pms.exe and make the changes, then exit that and restart the service? Seems kind of clunky to me. It didn't work that way in XP, and Logitech media server has never worked that way.
lemmy

Postby mazey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 am

lemmy wrote:I know this is a very old topic, but unfortunately I was forced to upgrade my computer to Win7 (from XP) and I have also noticed that the tray icon is missing (using 1.91 PS3MS). So what is considered to be the best way to change a setting in PS3MS? Do you stop the service, launch pms.exe and make the changes, then exit that and restart the service? Seems kind of clunky to me. It didn't work that way in XP, and Logitech media server has never worked that way.

thats how i do it but for slight changes i can just stop and edit pms.conf then start it back up.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Return to General Help and Support