Audio problems (language/timing)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Audio problems (language/timing)

Postby Xiaz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:16 am

Unable to get the audio streams to either sync properly with the video (think classic godzilla with the 10 second delay until you hear them yell), or the language only comes out in japanese.

With MEncoder the timing is behind anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds with alt sync checked, unchecked it got to 7 to 10 seconds.
With AVISynth/MEncoder, the language only comes out in japanese, and going into Haali splitter and changing the preferred language to eng does nothing, as well as removing all language codes but eng from the MEncoder options within PMS.

Any ideas where to start or to get this problem fixed would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm going through the AVISynth documentation looking for a possible solution.

Just for the fun of it, I removed the japanese audio track and tried playing it again with AVISynth/MEncoder, but the audio was still in japanese. Changed back to MEncoder and the audio was still out of sync.

The part thats really odd is the audio is fine during the intro, but when it ends it slows for some reason.
Xiaz

Re: Audio problems (language/timing)

Postby Xiaz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:48 am

And apparently changing from 1.10.51 to 1.20.392, the magic of beta, has decided to resync the english audio in MEncoder, I am thoroughly confused, but, as long as it works. Hope this slight revelation helps anyone else having this issue.
Xiaz

Postby BaconBrain » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 am

Xiaz,

I am currently using the 396 build on Win7 x64 and having similar problems. When using the Avisynth/MEncoder Engine with .mkv files containing two DTS audio tracks, video playback and audio sync is fine, but regardless of where I try to set the language priority, it does not stick. Playback is always in english and for the sight impaired! (no idea where that comes from) :shock:

Setting DTS pass-thru also does not stick, the signal being streamed to the PS3 slim is AC3. (PS3 slim connected to DTS Receiver via TOSlink)

I am evidently missing something but I no longer know where to look .....

Any ideas?

Bacon
BaconBrain

Postby ExSport » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 am

I suppose both DTS audio tracks are tagged as ENglish so PMS will take first one in video file and maybe it is commentary or for sight imparied.
You need to use #TRANSCODE# folder in this case or remux your file with any utility and change order of audio streams in MKV file.
ExSport

Postby BaconBrain » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 am

Exsport,

Thanks for the suggestion. When looking in the #Transcode# folder, I clearly see the audio files marked with the respective language symbol (english flag and german flag) and you are correct the english one preceeds the german one. Would the flags not be an indicator that the tracks are correctly tagged?

If so, why doesn't the language priority setting for the Haali Media Splitter (Audio language priority: ger,eng) nor the Media Server General Transcoder setting take affect? (probably a dumb question, but I do not have a whole lot of experiance with this)

Thx,

Bacon
BaconBrain

Postby ExSport » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:57 pm

What engine are you using? If AviSynth, then forgot for priority settings in PMS. You need to configure it in Haali splitter.
If you are using MEncoder alone then you can use priorities so please show us your settings for audio/subtitles priority lines in PMS.
ExSport

Postby BaconBrain » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Yes, it is the Avisynth/MEncoder engine.

I have configued the Haali Media Splitter using the recommended settings from Otmanix:

> K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration >Haali Media Splitter” and change to options tab. Choose menu “languages” and select your language priority:

Audio language priority: ger,eng

Subtitle language priority: ger,eng

audio and subtitle languages: ger,off;eng,ger;*,ger;*,eng

Trackset languages: ger,eng

For some reason, I could not get video playback (Error on PS3 "Format Unknown") when using MEncoder alone.
BaconBrain

Return to General Help and Support