Black Screen or Cut-off subtitles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Black Screen or Cut-off subtitles

Postby mossflower » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 am

I've attached the debug.log file and my information is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ethernet 100Mbits

Problem:Well, it all started when I noticed that the subtitles were clipped off the screen while I was using v.99 of this software. This happens only on files that are 1280x720. My TV (rather old, I'll admit) doesn't support 720p and only supports 1080i, so that's the resolution of the screen. I don't understand why 1280x720 doesn't work correctly and 1280x528 does, but I thought it might be resolved somehow by upgrading to the latest version.

With the latest version, though, I get even more problems. Now movies leave a black screen on the TV with mencoder. With Avisynth/mencoder, I normally get a file corrupted error, and with TSMuxer it actually plays but without subtitles at all. Strangely, the only files I can play with mencoder so far are anime episodes. These files are 1280x720 so the old error still occurs, and the only difference I can see between the anime and movie files is that the subtitles are embedded in the mkv container and the audio is 2 channel instead of 5.1.
I have for now reverted to using v.99 because I can actually watch movies with that, but I'd really like to see movies with subtitles correctly.
P.S: The debug file I attached is from the v1.04 that I also still have installed on my computer.
Attachments
debug.rar
(135.66 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
mossflower

Re: Black Screen or Cut-off subtitles

Postby mossflower » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:48 pm

I searched this forum for a similar issue, and I found this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44&start=0&hilit=subtitles+cut+off
I tried putting in -vf expand=-60:-60:30:30 like it suggested, but though it does fix the subtitles going off the screen, the bottom of the subtitles seem to get stuck? below the video, making it still hard to read. This happens in both 1280x720 and 1280x528 movies, so that's actually worse than before. Does anyone have any other suggestions to get the subtitles to show correctly?
mossflower

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:45 pm

try increasing the "font sub margin" value (mencoder config panel). it's 10 by default.. try something bigger
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby mossflower » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

I increased the font sub margin, and I can see the subtitles perfectly! :D Thanks for the help.
mossflower

Return to General Help and Support