Understanding PMS

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Understanding PMS

Postby Juniorflip » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am

How does the specific process for the PMS actually work, I am trying to fix a bug but I want to know a little bit more how it work.

When you have the Mencoder Video selected, does it just run the file through mencoder and streams to the ps3, or does it run the file through mencoder, play with mplayer and then stream it to the PS3?
Juniorflip

Re: Understanding PMS

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 am

Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

P.S. You can see the mencoder command-line in the debug.log. (mencoder's output is sent to a FIFO, which PMS reads from.)
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby otmanix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 am

rofl... :lol:
o.k. also some suggestions from me:
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby Juniorflip » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Well I managed to fix the issue myself and I am going to post my solution here

Problem... Embedded font Attached to MKV (Font Face) would not display correctly on PMS (san serif only) or overall subtitle would not be size appropriately. Same .srt but font size would change. Basically All Different Subtitle were giving me issue

My System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits
Core i7
4GBs Ram

If install, uninstall any codec pack (K-lite, CCCP, etc...)
uninstall any Java
uninstall CoreCodec if necessary
My Installation
Install CoreCodec (Do Not install Haali Media Splitter)
Install CCCP (Install Haali Media Splitter, but Uncheck the h.264 box under ffdshow)
Install Java Update 17 32 bits http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/6u17/index.html (I believe this made the most different but someone is probably going to correct me.)
Install Avisynth 2.5.7

In the CCCP there is a copy of mediaplayer classic. Open any .mkv and start playing it. The Haali Media Splitter (white box) should display in the bottom right corner. Doubleclick and click the tab that say option. In the Subtitle it will ask for priority put your Language type in there, IE eng.

In PMS, move the Avisynth/mencoder to the top, make sure it is Avisynth 2.5.7

After that all of my subtitle are working perfectly fine. Yes a lot of this can be found in Otamanix guide, This is just process I use to get all my functionality and subtitle working great, with no AV synce issue.

BTW... I posted a support question on the support board with eagerness to learn more about the Ps3mediaserver, good thing some people like myself can take a joke, other people would think you guys were being douches.
Juniorflip

Postby otmanix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

@juniorflip: Sorry, I had to response to this great artwork by chocolateboy... To be honest, I wouldn't be able to give you deep dive knowledge regarding subtitles. I don't use them at all and others here in forum did't write a good howto about that yet. So thanks for sharing your experiences.
Best regards, Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 pm

chocolateboy wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

love it :)

BTW... I posted a support question on the support board with eagerness to learn more about the Ps3mediaserver, good thing some people like myself can take a joke, other people would think you guys were being douches.

oh well, someone (at least me I guess) would have answered to this question, no worries :)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby chocolateboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Juniorflip wrote:BTW... I posted a support question on the support board with eagerness to learn more about the Ps3mediaserver

And I answered it:

Juniorflip wrote:When you have the Mencoder Video selected, does it just run the file through mencoder and streams to the ps3, or does it run the file through mencoder, play with mplayer and then stream it to the PS3?

chocolateboy wrote:You can see the mencoder command-line in the debug.log. (mencoder's output is sent to a FIFO, which PMS reads from.)

(Your question said nothing about subtitles.)

Juniorflip wrote:other people would think you guys were being douches

That's clearly not the case, but thanks for the back-handed name-calling.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to General Help and Support