Questions about windows service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Questions about windows service

Postby utku » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Hello,

I have pressed install as windows service button. But I am not sure how this works and have some questions.
1) Restart HTTP server button is disabled, do I have to go to administrator tools / services to restart each time I make any changes to the configuration, or something goes wrong ?
2) If the answer to first questions is yes, I can I uninstall this service and return to the inital way PMS works ?

regards
utku

Re: Questions about windows service

Postby saiga6360 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 pm

If you need to make changes, simply stop the service first then restart it after you are done.
saiga6360

Postby meskibob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:33 pm

utku wrote:1) Restart HTTP server button is disabled, do I have to go to administrator tools / services to restart each time I make any changes to the configuration, or something goes wrong ?

The button becomes enabled when you make changes to the configuration that aren't implemented on the fly.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby utku » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm

thanks, do you have any idea how to uninstall it ?
utku

Postby meskibob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 pm

If you open PMS through the normal PMS.exe shortcut it will run as normal, independent of where the service is installed or not. You can then just set the service to disabled in the Services list in Computer Management. I'm pretty sure it's completely removed if you uninstall PMS, although haven't tried myself.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Kit64 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 am

Hi,

I had a simular experence installing PS3 Media Server as a service so I wrote myself some notes as follows:

Installing PS3 Media Server on WHS Server
====================================

1. Create PS3ServiceUninstall.cmd
"C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32\service\Wrapper.exe" -r
pause

2. Check firewall ports:
Firewall port TCP 5001
Firewall port UDP 5001
Port forwarding TCP & UDP 5001

3. After checking 'Install as service', go to Services->PS3 Media Server->Properties
->General->'Startup type' change from Manual to Automatic.
->Log On->Local System Account->'Allow service to interact with desktop', change from checked to unchecked.

I found that having ''...interact with desktop' enabled was a problem if there was no one logging in (which is normally the case for a server).

Hope this helps,
Chris
Last edited by Kit64 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kit64

Postby j2048b » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 am

i had posted a previous problem to no answers regarding the service part of pms:

every time it started as a service it would show allencoders as a yello cone stating they were not loaded and would not load until i would quit the app and restart it,

any answers as to why this happends?

thanks
j2048b

Postby LarryTru » Fri May 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Uninstalling PMS does NOT remove the pms service. Is there a procedure for removing the service?

Also, if I do use pms installed as a service, how am I supposed to manage/configure it? My understanding is that if I run the application from the normal shortcut it instantiates another copy of the application (so both it and the service may potentially be running).
LarryTru

Postby meskibob » Fri May 08, 2009 2:34 pm

LarryTru wrote:Is there a procedure for removing the service?
Make sure the service is disabled and then delete it using the following command line:
Code: Select all
C:>sc delete [service name]

LarryTru wrote:Also, if I do use pms installed as a service, how am I supposed to manage/configure it? My understanding is that if I run the application from the normal shortcut it instantiates another copy of the application (so both it and the service may potentially be running).
Changes made to the configuration of the non-service instance will be applied to the service instance once it is restarted.
meskibob

Postby LarryTru » Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks, that deleted it.

So for configuring it when it is a service, I should just start the normal app, make my changes, close it, and restart the service?
LarryTru

Next

Return to General Help and Support