Streaming MKV (H.264+DTA) to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming MKV (H.264+DTA) to PS3

Postby buju » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi guys,

I hope that you can help with this one.
PMS (great MS!) is streaming my MKV (H.264+DTS) files just fine to PS3, but I wonder if there is a way to improve the way it works in my setup.

When I use all default settings in 1.04 I see that the mencoder is transcoding the above to MPEG2 - WHY? Is there any way to change that?
In order to a) preserve the image quality and b) be able to use less LAN bandwidth and not choke my WLAN - I would like to transcode to mp4 (H.264)+AC3, or m2ts+AC3. As far as I know PS3 can play both mp4 and m2ts, natively. So, basically I want to leave the video untouched, as H.264, and transcode only the audio from DTS to AC3.

Is there any config that I can use to adjust as above?

Thanks.
buju

Re: Streaming MKV (H.264+DTA) to PS3

Postby shagrath » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 pm

try following folders: #Transcoded# -> <yourvideofoldername> -> [tsMuxer]
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ExSport » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Or better move tsMuxeR at first place in priority. Then File outside #Transcode# folder will be remuxed file and others in #transcode# folder will be transcoded(not the first one with tsMuxerR in name)
ExSport

Postby buju » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:13 am

It looks like both ways work in order to reduce the wireless throughput required.
Yet, I wonder why in the PS3 XMB menu the video files show up as MPEG2 - in both cases: tsmuxer and mencoder?
Under file info it would show the transoded file type and size as MPEG2 and 94GB, while the original is H.264 + DTS and 6.2GB.
I would expect to see avc, mp4, or some other H.264 compatible container, and the original file size, or very close to that.
NOTE: for my HD files from my camcorder the file format is .mts and in PS3 I do see
I am even starting to wonder if I am really seeing a difference in throughput - but I do seem to see a 40-50% reduction.

What am I missing?

I did check the original file with tsmuxer (standalone installation) and it does indicate that the orginal mkv contains H.264, DTS, and and .srt file.
Talking about the srt - when I use mencoder I can see the subtitles, when using tsmuxer they are gone. Is this normal?

Thank you.
Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 T5600 1.83 GHz, 1GB
LAN: 1 Gbps + 11N (oodles of throughput), WAN: 5.14/.580 Mbps <consistent
PMS 1.10, VLC web streaming
Video file engines: 1) TSMuxer, 2) MEncoder
Audio file engines: 1) MPlayer Audio, 2) FFmpeg Audio
buju

Postby shagrath » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:13 am

with ps3, subtitles means you have to transcode the video
if you remove this .srt file, your m2t file will be streamed naturally as ps3 is compatible with them
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Joksi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 pm

buju wrote:It looks like both ways work in order to reduce the wireless throughput required.
Yet, I wonder why in the PS3 XMB menu the video files show up as MPEG2 - in both cases: tsmuxer and mencoder?
Under file info it would show the transoded file type and size as MPEG2 and 94GB, while the original is H.264 + DTS and 6.2GB.
I would expect to see avc, mp4, or some other H.264 compatible container, and the original file size, or very close to that.
NOTE: for my HD files from my camcorder the file format is .mts and in PS3 I do see
I am even starting to wonder if I am really seeing a difference in throughput - but I do seem to see a 40-50% reduction.

What am I missing?

I did check the original file with tsmuxer (standalone installation) and it does indicate that the orginal mkv contains H.264, DTS, and and .srt file.
Talking about the srt - when I use mencoder I can see the subtitles, when using tsmuxer they are gone. Is this normal?

Thank you.

tsMuxer supports embedding external .srt subtitles in its stream when demuxing, but PS3 doesnt support reading it. Therefore, if you start to play a supported format by the PS3 and there is a external srt subtitle file located in the videos folder, with the same name, PMS will automatically transcode to get the subtitles too. You can manually choose the version in TRANSCODED folder without *subtitles found, or just remove the subtitles from the folder and PMS wont then recognize it. (this affects natevly supported formats, tsMuxer demuxing of MKV doesnt support subtitles weather they exist or not)

You should really see a lower througput (bitrate) when streaming natively (or with tsMuxer) then with ie MEncoder. All my 1080p MKV that are around 10-20Mbps with tsMuxer (original bitrate because video is untouched) are all 50-60Mbps with MEncoder. This is because the less efficent MPEG2 codec used to transcode.

The reason why MPEG2 is used with transcoding, instead of ie H264, is because there is a big difference in required performance for decoding MPEG2 vs H264. Even a fast quad core would probably have issues with decoding to H264.
Joksi

Postby buju » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:19 am

Sorry, I still don't get it. If you can bear with me..
FILE TO STREAM = MKV (DTS + H.264 + SRT)
DESIRED OUTPUT = UNTOUCHED VIDEO + AC3. An example would likely be an AVC/MP4 stream, with AC3.
Why is this not possible? Since the video is not transcoded, why would this require a lot of processing? Demuxing the MKV, transcoding DTS to AC3, and remuxing to AVC/MP4 should not require video transcoding.

I am not sure what I am missing here?

"You should really see a lower througput (bitrate) when streaming natively (or with tsMuxer) then with ie MEncoder. All my 1080p MKV that are around 10-20Mbps with tsMuxer (original bitrate because video is untouched) are all 50-60Mbps with MEncoder. This is because the less efficent MPEG2 codec used to transcode."

I seem to see a lower bitrate when using tsmuxer, but I cannot explain it. The output seems to still NOT be AVC/MP4, so the H.264 IS transcoded - to mpe2, apprently, judging by the PS3 mpeg 2 report.

Or are you saying that tsmuxer remuxes within an mpe2 stream - if it is possible to have H.264+AC3 muxed as mpeg2?? That sounds weird.

How can I achieve NO video transcoding, leave the H.264 untouched, and remux to AVC or MP4 after DTS>AC3 transcoding?
Thanks,

Eugen
buju

Postby Joksi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 am

What your typing is what tsMuxer DOES, it doesnt transcode video.
I think if you olay the movie and fire up the information, it will state AVC in the top right corner
Joksi

Postby rankafan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am

buju wrote:Sorry, I still don't get it. If you can bear with me..
FILE TO STREAM = MKV (DTS + H.264 + SRT)
DESIRED OUTPUT = UNTOUCHED VIDEO + AC3. An example would likely be an AVC/MP4 stream, with AC3.
Eugen

Don't stare yourself blind on what format the PS3 says is playing, listed to the right of each file name. Far as I know, that always says mpeg2, even if it's H264 or VC-1 even (played in a WMV container). Instead, use the indicator at the top-right of the screen when you press the 'Info' button: that will display the correct codec.
Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!
rankafan

Postby buju » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Joksi and rankafan, thanks for your continued patience.
I really want to find a way to do this.

Rankafan, I assure you that: the indication next to the file, in PS3 does show the same info as that shown in the detailed Info page.
Of course, the detailed info page will show more details.
So, next to the files I see MPEG2 - regardless if I am using tsmuxer or mencoder, and in the info page I see the very same info for both methods, plus more details: mpeg2, 8.5 Mbps.

So, in your case - does it show AVC?? If so, something's different - between my setup and yours.

Joksi, I will check the info, while the stream is played and report back. Thanks.
buju

Next

Return to General Help and Support