Difference between mencoder and tsmuxer

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Difference between mencoder and tsmuxer

Postby robharper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 pm

shagrath wrote:you are all wired, yet you have stuttering ? :|
that's quite rare

Yes, it's driving me crazy. I'm not 100% sure that Mencoder is to blame, but I've watched a few 720 movies with TSMuxer -- no stutter.

I can't figure it out. I've turned off bittorrent, other intensive processes on my comp. Changed my router's firmware. So far, nothing has helped... :(
robharper

Postby meskibob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Well, tsmuxer only works if the video codec inside the mkv container (probably H264 for your files) is natively PS3 compatible. If not, then you'll need to use mencoder. When possible, it's currently better to use tsmuxer over mencoder if your system and/or network specs are limiting.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby robharper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Right, but I can't understand where the bottleneck could be -- my computer is decently fast, and my connection is wired. I used to stream flawlessly with XBMC. (Granted, that was only low-def and not transcoded.)
robharper

Postby Joksi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Only if you need subtitles, or if the video is encoded in an unsupported way for tsMuxer.
Joksi

Previous

Return to General Help and Support