1080p Stutters On PS3 Even With Gigabit Ethernet...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: 1080p Stutters On PS3 Even With Gigabit Ethernet...

Postby ExSport » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Don't remember exactly this thread but I know that mentioning Wireless G on PS3 was because lot of people thinks that If they have N version of router they can achieve better throughput but don't realize that limitation is worst part in connection and it can be PS3 if connected wirelessly. Also that 54Mbit theoretical throughput means about 20Mbit in reality and also that it means about 2.5MB/s at max...
I am Cisco certified so I know something about networking 8-)
Mentioning CAT5e and Cat6 cabling was because I don't know if user has 5m cable or 100m cable what is maximum without using signal repeater. Cat6 has better shielding so less interferencing and crosstalks = more stable throughput.
Also I know that best quality Cat5e calbles have similar performance as Cat6 on short distance but I saw few benchmarks and definitelly we can say that Cat5e should achieve about up to 500Mbits but with Cat6 you are sure that cabling will not be bottleneck...some cheap cat5e cables are crap = about 150mbits on 1gbit network...cat6 is certainty.
ExSport

Postby aftermath » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 am

I've had similar problems for the longest time. After lots of trial and error, this is the how I solved the problem: Set your Ethernet card as well as your PS3 to 100Mbps Half Duplex and manually set the IP address on your PC and PS3. Avoid using DHCP.

On your PC:
Control Panel -> Network Connections -> select the appropriate card -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Speed and Duplex -> 100Mbps Half Duplex

On your PS3:
Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings -> Custom -> Wired Connection -> Manual Settings -> 100BASE-TX-Half Duplex.

Trust me. This will work wonders.
aftermath

Postby ExSport » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:00 am

So it means you have damaged cable or crappy router...
It is bad think to change full to half duplex only. Also avoiding DHCP has no impact on streaming. For static IP you can also configure DHCP to reserve static IP regarding defined MAC address.
ExSport

Postby ExSport » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:33 pm

no8080 wrote:A Vqmin of 2 will not work with most 1080p video files over N wireless, fine for 720p, or most BD9 1080p files, but not 1080p files that are above 9GB in size, although it depends on how the movie was re-encoded.

It works when you have powerful CPU and you will set "bandwidth limit" to about 20Mbits.
It works for me this way on tested notebook via WIFI G.
Code: Select all
PMS set to keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 and limited to 20Mbits

Sure I had to wait until buffer was little bit filled because my CPU on notebook is Core2Duo 2.53 only so buffer is drained faster than buffered.
My quad core has not this problem(when tested settings above) but on it I don't use any limitation because of 1Gbit network and powerful CPU 8-)
ExSport

Postby imaware » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

aftermath wrote:I've had similar problems for the longest time. After lots of trial and error, this is the how I solved the problem: Set your Ethernet card as well as your PS3 to 100Mbps Half Duplex and manually set the IP address on your PC and PS3. Avoid using DHCP.

On your PC:
Control Panel -> Network Connections -> select the appropriate card -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Speed and Duplex -> 100Mbps Half Duplex

On your PS3:
Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings -> Custom -> Wired Connection -> Manual Settings -> 100BASE-TX-Half Duplex.

Trust me. This will work wonders.

Did anyone try this , if so did it work out ok.
I've got quad core + 4gig ram + radeon4870 on a wired gigabit ethernet connection and mine stutters quite badly on high bitrate 1080p mkv or native ps3 formats.
Lee.
imaware

Postby imaware » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:39 pm

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE STUTTERING @1080p OVER LAN (wired) CONNECTION.
FIXED=
read every post on every forum , no luck , lots of stutter.
Just simply fit an ethernet switch between the lan cable and the PS3.
I have the Netgear FS605 5 Port 10/100 switch.
Use TSmuxer in transcode folder or run through MKV2VOB first.
All my 1080p High Bitrate files play without the slightest stutter now.
Allmost unwatchable before.
After weeks of trying to get high bit rate files to play with every setting possible to mankind , it now works like a dream.
Try it for yourself , you wont regret it.
All settings on PS3 media server left at default.
Let me know how you get on.
Thanks.
Lee.
imaware

Postby imaware » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:22 am

imaware wrote:VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE STUTTERING @1080p OVER LAN (wired) CONNECTION.
FIXED=
read every post on every forum , no luck , lots of stutter.
Just simply fit an ethernet switch between the lan cable and the PS3.
I have the Netgear FS605 5 Port 10/100 switch.
Use TSmuxer in transcode folder or run through MKV2VOB first.
All my 1080p High Bitrate files play without the slightest stutter now.
Allmost unwatchable before.
After weeks of trying to get high bit rate files to play with every setting possible to mankind , it now works like a dream.
Try it for yourself , you wont regret it.
All settings on PS3 media server left at default.
Let me know how you get on.
Thanks.
Lee.

Why would the switch , which is only 10/100 as opposed to the rest of my network which is 10/100/1000 make such a huge difference to performance.
Would upgrading to a 10/100/1000 switch offer any further benefits.
Thanks.
Lee
imaware

Postby imaware » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Anyone ?
imaware

Postby meskibob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm

imaware wrote:Would upgrading to a 10/100/1000 switch offer any further benefits.

Yes.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby matryx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:07 am

I'm also experiencing stuttering with my Core2 Duo T5300 1.73GHz laptop and 2GB Ram laptop. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and using a crossover Ethernet cable to connect my PS3 to my laptop. I specifically getting stuttering with I'm transcoding subtitles with Mencoder.
matryx

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support