Slow performance of the new "Video Copy" feature

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Slow performance of the new "Video Copy" feature

Postby ridgerock » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm very happy that this feature has been implemented - thank you! For me, this is the preferred way to watch content because it minimizes disruption due to errors, keeps my machine free for other tasks, and makes it practical use features like scene searching on the PS3.

In general, the feature is stable and seems to work as intended. I am, however, experiencing what seems to be very poor performance when copying, with bitrates generally between 5000 and 8000 kb/s. This is well-below the bitrates I see when watching movies, and while I can use Multiple Copy and set it to work overnight, hopefully there will be some tuning that can be done to enable copy performance more consistent with overall performance of PMS.

I'm running OS X version, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, gigabit ethernet.

Here's a discussion of this issue in relation to other media servers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... p=14485934

I'm also running to some audio sync issues (that is, when streaming audio is fine, but when playing after copy, there's sync issues). I'll try to identify if this is happening with specific types of audio tracks.

Thanks!
Last edited by ridgerock on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ridgerock

Re: Slow performance of the new "Video Copy" feature

Postby ridgerock » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:50 am

I tried copy operations using the Windows version under VMWare and so the same poor performance.
ridgerock

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 am

if you copy a transcoded video ,that's normal, cause you have to reencode the video (makes sense)
for non transcoded video, I think the ps3 hard drive speed is limited , but it should be fast nonetheless
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ridgerock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for responding, shagrath.

I'm not sure I completely understanding your comment, but I think you're saying that copying a file that requires transcoding the copy speed is subject to the speed at which the movie can be transcoded. But when I'm watching a movie, I see speeds of around 50,000 kb/s versus 8000 kb/s when copying the same file.

When you copy files, what sort of speeds are you seeing?
ridgerock

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:58 pm

actually I've tried yesterday and saw as well the slow speed when copy...
don't know the cause yet, but I suspect the ps3 does not like to copy files with non fixed size
when I copy a simple mpeg with a fixed size (because it's not transcoded), it's very fast...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Konceptz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 pm

coping video has always been not as fast as it should with the PS3. I've tried every type of source there is.

There is a thread on the official PS3 forums where a user replaced the factory hard drive with a 7200rpm drive and say on average maybe a 2-3 sec increase in game data loading, loading screens, installs, etc.
Konceptz

Postby Irvysan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:14 am

Konceptz wrote:coping video has always been not as fast as it should with the PS3. I've tried every type of source there is.

There is a thread on the official PS3 forums where a user replaced the factory hard drive with a 7200rpm drive and say on average maybe a 2-3 sec increase in game data loading, loading screens, installs, etc.

Not recommended to use 7200Rpm on PS3 = Heat issues :(
Irvysan

Postby Konceptz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:01 am

Irvysan wrote:
Konceptz wrote:coping video has always been not as fast as it should with the PS3. I've tried every type of source there is.

Not recommended to use 7200Rpm on PS3 = Heat issues :(

I know plenty of people who run 7200 rpm drives in their PS3s. The 7200rpm drives are only 1-2 degrees hotter, nothing to cause concern.
Konceptz

Return to General Help and Support