Web content will not stream

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Web content will not stream

Postby lovswr » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 am

I put pms on my Vista box about a year ago & every thing was fine. Then one day, any content that I streamed from the web just stopped working. It just sits there, forever at a black screen, or it tell me that the media has some sort of problem or cannot be transcoded after several minutes. I installed pms on my linux box (ubuntu 9.10) a few weeks ago & the same thing. Any media that I have stored on my hard drives works fine. If I download some web content (including content that I am trying to stream) to a hard drive FIRST it works fine. Using the same pc's & ps3 & tversity & web content streams just fine. I do not think this is a local network or firewall issue as my ps3 can see pms (& play local content) just fine. Just a little while ago I tried to stream 2 things. traces reported the following;

Code: Select all
[New I/O server worker #1-1] TRACE 19:19:02.179 Starting transcode/remux of Quickie Dickie - Up in the Air, Sherlock Holmes, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, PixelJunk Shooter, and 2010 predictions! - The Totally Rad Show

[New I/O server worker #1-1] TRACE 20:28:06.761 Starting transcode/remux of Borderlands: Mad Moxxi - Gameplay Teaser

On both attempts I let my ps3 sit for about 5 minutes. There are no other references or error code in the traces page for either entry except for the above. It's like pms tried to start streaming... & then nothing.

This is most frustrating as when I first got pms it worked flawlessly & to me tversity is not a desirable option.

Please can someone help?
lovswr

Re: Web content will not stream

Postby otmanix » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:45 am

I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby lovswr » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm

So the answer is, sorry you are SOOL?
lovswr

Postby tigers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes, I posted basically the same question, and did my homework and searched the old messages too, and didn't even get an answer.

The thread you pointed out states that the last VLC supported is v 0.98a, and that's what I installed on my PC. Now what? it's the program so buggy it simply can't send any web content? So why bother telling v 0.98a is supported? Is there something else I'm missing? Can I go back to the latest VLC release and just forgot of Wev streaming until it's fixed?

I think it's not that hard to answer: is there a way to have, even in a limited and buggy way the web content streaming or we'll just have to wait?
no problem in waiting, just wanted to know.
tigers

Postby otmanix » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

So the answer is, sorry you are SOOL?

English is not my native language. What are you talking about?

I didn't write the code of PMS but my opinion is that video streaming isn't working in most cases, even if supported version of VLC is being used.
Audio streaming works in lots of cases. I suggest to have a look here: http://www.foxhollow.ca/PS3-Radio/
There are several reasons for this situation. One main reason for example is that most video stream providers and some audio stream providers use copy protection. If someone is skilled in programming video/audio capture from browser in order to supply PMS for streaming don't hesitate calling Shagrath... Even if the problem with later versions of VLC had been solved it wouldn't solve the copy protection problems (there is an open call in VLC forum which hasn't been solved yet by VLC team).

So the answer is: Yes, you have to wait in lots of cases until new code has been implemented. Don't expect that this happens soon.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby dasbooter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Just throwing this out there this guy seems really linux friendly and he has this pretty good program groovewalrus http://groove-walrus.turnip-town.net/dru/node/9 to grab streams from grooveshark. I looked around for awhile trying to figure this out... so just to confirm that streaming of video output for sites like youtube etc is not currently possible with ps3 media server? I may of missed this but this seems like a rather large component of this media streamer to not have somewhere saying this is currently not working... like say in the current big issues thread or something.Again I apologize for not looking hard enough for this information if I missed it.By the way check out grooveshark if you haven't already http://listen.grooveshark.com/ it is kind of buggy in the ps3's browser but it works if you have a playlist already made up. I gave a slim to my father for christmas (best bluray player in my opinion) and mouths were hanging open :D after i had it playing christmas carols from grooveshark and streaming A Christmas Story. Happy new year all.
dasbooter

Postby dasbooter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Hmmm just looking at my own trace its different I wonder whats up? I get :

[New I/O server worker #1-2] TRACE 11:12:24.016 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6
[New I/O server worker #1-2] TRACE 11:12:24.546 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6
[New I/O server worker #1-2] TRACE 11:12:27.528 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6
[New I/O server worker #1-2] TRACE 11:13:02.932 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6
[New I/O server worker #1-2] TRACE 11:13:03.061 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6
[New I/O server worker #1-1] TRACE 12:07:16.819 Media renderer was not recognized. HTTP User agent :Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091215 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.6

Maybe this is solvable in Ubuntu. I am using vs 369
dasbooter

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:58 pm

UPDATE: For a quick and easy solution to Web video streaming with PS3 Media Server go here and follow the instructions.

To discuss PMSEncoder, post in this thread (please follow the instructions for reporting an issue if you want a reply).

If you want help with a particular feed/site, see here.

---

The following information is obsolete. (See above.)

Web video streaming can be made to work quite easily. Download ps3mencoder, make it executable, and add this to your PMS.conf:

mencoder_path = \/path\/to\/bin\/ps3mencoder

Install the Perl prerequisites:

• File::Which
  • IO::All
  • List::MoreUtils
  • LWP::Simple

On Ubuntu (and probably Debian), they can be installed with:

sudo aptitude install libfile-which-perl libio-all-perl liblist-moreutils-perl libwww-perl

Restart PMS and move mencoder up to the top of the list of your "Video Web Streaming Engines".

Caveats:

• There may be a problem with the script leaving behind orphan mencoder processes. I'm still looking into it. Patches welcome! UPDATE: This may be a PMS bug, rather than a ps3mencoder issue.

See the instructions beginning here for more information (replace ps3vlc with ps3mencoder). I'm no longer maintaining ps3vlc as mencoder works a lot more reliably for me than VLC.
Last edited by chocolateboy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 18 times in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby chocolateboy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 am

Update: Added YouTube support. ps3mencoder has now been tested and verified against:

Last edited by chocolateboy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby lovswr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 am

chocolateboy, thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you! Finally some kind of explanation/resolution.
I was able to finally stream things from the web again. The only problem was HD quicktime but my ffmpeg returned some kind of error so that would seem to be some kind of local to me problem.

I would warn that your script appears to be very strict in that it wants \/some\/path\/bin\/ps3mencoder... in that the end must be \/bin\/ps3mencoder.

I took a quick look at your script & I could not find where to change it. so I moved ps3mencoder out of my home directory to /user/bin/ps3mencoder & it was all good.

By the way, for ubuntu (& other *nix users) don't forget to chmod +x ps3mencoder when you first download that script.
lovswr

Next

Return to General Help and Support