NETWORK BUG,, wireless is fine but wired is not

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: NETWORK BUG,, wireless is fine but wired is not

Postby lapyip » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Problem solved for me, thanks to meskibob for suggesting Multicast could be a possible cause of the problem.

I played around with the Multicast setting in LAN/Advanced tab and changed it from "None" (default) to "IGMP-v2". Then, PMS works also for the wired connection now. I also tried changing it back to "None" and then it stopped working. Changed it again to "IGMP-v2", worked again.

I hope it solves others' problem as well.

Thanks again for all who chipped in their thoughts to help. Great forum.

It's very late in my region, got to sleep now.
lapyip

Postby Hermansen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Worked like a charm here as well, thanks all :D

Must have been to quick to discard it the last time I tried, after all it did start working then as well, only it was after I had set everything back. Probably just took a while for the changes to take effect :oops:
Hermansen

Postby tholeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm

actually i was gonna return the router today, but since you got it to work now, i guess i should try it again :)

but i dont understand, lapyip you say that you made changes in multicast settings in windows,, can you be more specific on how to change it IGMP-v2 in vista ? :) cause i dont see how to go in there to change it,,

so basicly that was all the changes that needed to be done for it to work then ? :b ,,
tholeth

Postby meskibob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:48 pm

tholeth wrote:...made changes in multicast settings in windows...

No! He made the changes to the multicast settings of the router.

In general to access your router settings you enter your Gateway IP (which you can find from an IPCONFIG in the Command Prompt) into your browser and then just enter "admin" as the username without a password, but specific details should be in your router's user manual.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby tholeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:57 pm

oh then i understand,, cause i couldnt find it in windows,, ill just try and connect the router again and see if i can figure it out,, im not really an expert ;)
tholeth

Postby tholeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:47 pm

oh that seemed to do the trick :) ,, the option multicast was not to be set to none but IGMP-v2 ,, :b how cool , but how should anyone know that man :b
tholeth

Postby tholeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 pm

now i can transcode 1080p content on my tv without stuttering at all,, thats so cool,, the 100mbit router were the bottleneck before, but with the new gigbit lan its perfect,, i got a peak bitrate in one movie at over 130000 kb/s ,, think it can go even further ,,
tholeth

Postby ExSport » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Also switch after the router will solve multicast problems. Then all traffic will go via switch only and you are sure that it will not block any packets ;)
It seems that igmp protocol settings affect also LAN(layer 2) interfaces on router and not only layer 3 communication.
ExSport

Previous

Return to General Help and Support