Adding other file extension in library

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Adding other file extension in library

Postby CoolHands » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:48 am

Hello all !

Is there a way to force PS3 Media Server to add other file types in the library? Like .part or .megamanager files?

Let's say I am downloading a movie with firefox (or megamanager). It creates a .avi.part (or .avi.megamanager) file, growing as I download. I would like to play this file on my PS3 as I download it. I can do this by renaming the file (but then it won't download) or creating a symbolic link. This proves that the file itself is perfectly playable with PS3 Media Server, only the extension prevents it from appearing in the library...

Thanks

Cool Hands
CoolHands

Re: Adding other file extension in library

Postby shagrath » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 am

well, have you ever try to play an incomplete avi ? because I don't think it's possible (without using a video repair tool or whatever)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby CoolHands » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:29 am

As long as the avi is dowloaded "traditionaly" and not by small pieces, it is possible to play it with vlc. Vlc asks to repair it, and if you chose "no" you can play it anyways.

Maybe my message was not really clear, but it is working with PS3 Media Server. You can try the following, I have did it a bunch of times and it works, providing your download speed is high enough :

- Download a large video file on megaupload, for example using mega manager. (You can also try with download managers, or even with firefox)
- In the destination folder, you will have two files, video.avi and video.avi.megamanager (the second extension can change, depending on the software used)
- Open a command window and type fsutil hadrlink create myvid.avi video.avi.megamanager (for windows xp)
- This will create a link file
- Make sure your destination folder is shared in PS3 media server
- Open myvid.avi in the PS3 (you may have to go in transcode folder)
- Enjoy your streaming

So my question is : Could I add directly .avi.megamanager files into PS3 Media Server library, to be able to see these files appear on my PS3 without having to create a virtual link each time?
It looks like PS3 media server is discarding some files by looking at their extension, I would like to be able to change that and force him to add the extensions I want

Thanks

Cool_Hands
CoolHands

Postby Menel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:06 pm

I'd also like this information. PS3 doesn't index .tivo files. But these files are basically MPEG2 format, and the codecs are installed in windows to support playing them direct through applications like Windows Media Player.

I'd think PS3MediaServer could stream them direct to the PS3.

Alternatively, adding the ability for WMP to add that file extension to it's library then it could stream.
Menel

Postby shsharpe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 am

Did anyone ever find out if this is possible? Adding extra file extensions.
shsharpe

Postby d3m0n1q_733rz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Actually, I'm now needing to know how to do this with TAK files as they're supported since FFMpeg 1.1
d3m0n1q_733rz

Return to General Help and Support