5.1 outputs to wrong speaker

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

5.1 outputs to wrong speaker

Postby surpuppa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:15 pm

I've got an issue when using MEncoder to play movies with 5.1 sound. The sound channels are routed to the wrong speakers, so the sound that's supposed to be CENTER is heard in the BACK RIGHT speaker. Kind of anoying since most of the dialog is usually located in the center speaker.

Any clues to what I might do to fix this issue?

Obviously I've checked 5.1 sound from other sources and it is played correctly, so I haven't messed up my wiring ;)

Also, playing 2.0 movies works fine and sound is heard in the front left and right speakers.
surpuppa

Re: 5.1 outputs to wrong speaker

Postby shagrath » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 pm

search in the google code project, there already multiple issues talking about that
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby MrNova » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:13 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but the consensus seems to be that channel mismapping/dropping is a flaw/bug in MEncoder; there's nothing much that can be done to fix the issue in PMS until the MEncoder guys fix it. Shagrath posted a link somewhere on the avforums to a developer thread or something; they are aware of the problem so hopefully they will fix it soon...Re-encode your movies into AC3 in the mean time I guess :/
MrNova

Postby Schwenk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but using tsmuxer happens the same thing, all channels are switched. I do not use Mencoder (Disabled it in the configuration. pc is tooo slow for this). Or does PMS always use for audio decoding Mencoder even if you have disabled this?
Schwenk

Return to General Help and Support