PS3 Media Server wont transcode

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PS3 Media Server wont transcode

Postby hawkeye » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Guys

I am very new to this whole media server thing. Anyway I installed PS3 media server and my PS3 sees the server, it allows me to browse my pc media and creates a "--Transcode--" folder as well. Problem is when i select this folder it does nothing. No transcoding happens. I am obviously doing something wrong since I see no one else has had this problem. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
hawkeye

Re: PS3 Media Server wont transcode

Postby Subject2Change » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:17 pm

First off selecting the #--Transcode--# will force a transcode on the files inside you select. Typically it breaks down every file in a folder into its own seperate folder giving you various options on which transcoding method to use, by default MENCoder is first.

What kind of file type are you trying to transcode?
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby hawkeye » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:45 am

Hi there

I am trying to transcode Xvid files. Ceratin folders have the transcode folder. And when I go into it it has the filename with the for example (mencoder) in brackets. Those play fine but its only a handful. Majority of the folders have the TRANSCODE folder but when I press X on it it doesnt allow me in, so you cant see the file with mencoder in brackets or whatever else. These are not HD files, these are your normal Mpeg 4 and avi files which from what I understand should be able to be transcoded.

I am not sure whether my hardware is the problem. But I am running a Core 2 Duo 2.16GHZ with 2 gig ram. Could this be the problem?
hawkeye

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am

you are reaching the 8 level depth folder of the ps3
reorganize your share settings and/or your folders
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby hawkeye » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 am

Will give that a try.

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate your help.
hawkeye

Return to General Help and Support