Need Help Connecting PC to PS3 via Crossover Cable

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Need Help Connecting PC to PS3 via Crossover Cable

Postby stereosteveo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello,

Not sure where to start here but in summary I've been trying to connect my PC to PS3 via crossover cable for a week unsuccessfully. I've read several FAQ's, posted several messages on several boards, and was finally sent here.

To start simply let me state what I have:

Right now:
a. I have a "Wireless ISP", so I have no incoming line, router, or any other equipment from my ISP. I can connect 2 PC's, a laptop, and the PS3 all independently to the internet no problem wirelessly.
b. Since I have no router I read a crossover cable from my PC to PS3 would work and also maximize bandwidth.

In the last week I've tried:
a. Bridging my USB wireless Adapter to the PC NIC that connects to the PS3 and setting up static IP's. (I'm lost on IP #'s btw) I got internet to the PS3 using this method.
B. Enabling ICS on USB Wireless Adapter to PC NIC to PS3. I can ping the PS3 but no internet.

In either case I have not been able to see the PS3 using either Tversity or PS3MS. I'm done with Tverity though. Server keeps dying. Have to reinstall, updates library, takes 45 mins...

At any rate before I get into more specifics I would like to ask:
1. Is it possible to connect a PC to a PS3 via crossover cable? Maybe I need a straight cable? Running Vista BTW.
2. Should I use ICS or Bridge the connections? Which one works, or works best?
3. Is it possible to have file transfer and internet simultaneously with either, or one of the methods?

Thanks for your time.
-Steve..
stereosteveo

Re: Need Help Connecting PC to PS3 via Crossover Cable

Postby meskibob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:08 pm

I think this thread answers all your questions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4086&hilit=crossover
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby stereosteveo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for the link Meskibob.

I've been trying to do more-less the same thing but with different IP #'s.
To make matters simpler I'm now using zomghealz #'s.

Here is what I've done/have:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3: (Haven't changed anything here)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : colubris.lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.1.248(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.1.10
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . ..: 192.168.1.10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: (RJ-45 Crossover to PS3)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . ..: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . .: Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 (Blank)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

PS3-
IP Address: .........................: 10.1.1.2
Subnet Mask: ........................: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: .....................: 10.1.1.1
Preferred DNS: ......................: 10.1.1.1
Alternate DNS: ......................: 10.1.1.11
UpnP: Not Avail
NAT Type: Failed

PS3MS:
force Net on interface: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2
Force IP of the Server: 10.1.1.1
Force Port of the Server: 5005
Use an IP Filter: 10.1.1.2

Few Questions:

1. First, do the #'s look OK? The NIC still says "Autoconfig Enabled"?

2. I enabled ICS on the Wireless Adapter and linked it to the NIC #2 (To PS3). I have NIC #1 disabled.
But when I go back and disable it to make sure it's linked right, the drop-down box is gone. I've rebooted and all,
still don't see it. The wifi adapter still says "shared" but I can't verify it's still shared with the NIC. (I had
these connections bridged at one time, but I removed the adapter, disabled the bridge, and deleted it.)

3. I have UPnP enabled as far as I can tell, but PS3 fails. I have everything under "Sharing and Discovery" On actually.

4. Does the NIC, or the WiFi Adapter have to be set to "private"?

Well,
I can ping the PS3 with 3ms return.

I have all firewalls disabled.
On PS3MS I've:
Forced it to use the NIC.
Filtered the PS3 IP to it.
Set the server IP as the NIC.

I've yet to get past the big bad red "X"!
It says "You should see XMB, etc.."
It even says it's running the server on the NIC address.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,
-SteveO..
Last edited by stereosteveo on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
stereosteveo

Postby stereosteveo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 am

Update:

"Houston we have made contact!"

Well I uninstalled Tversity, then got a weird message about "How do you want to configure Network?"
Then for giggles I uninstalled Zone Alarm (Which I had disabled) and PS3MS. Then rebooted, reinstalled PS3MS, and voila!

It's nice to see the "PS3 has been found!" message after screwing around with countless methods/settings for about 5 days.

Thanks again for the direction,
More to Come..
-SteveO..
stereosteveo

Postby edgarvhulcer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 am

Guys!!!!! I have the same problem: Can't connect directly via crossover cable.

Well, in fact I used to connect this way with my old laptop without any issues, truly flawlessly. But today I got this new machine with faster processor & more RAM. I tried to connect it exactly the same way as before (static IP's in PS3 and laptop, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, etc, etc. As you guys have already stated many times in the forum -and as it used to work with the other laptop-) but just can't get it to work anymore!!!

Just FYI, I have successfully connected my new Laptop and the PS3 wirelessly via the Internet modem/router. PS3 media server finds the PS3 immediately. The problem is when trying to connect wired via the Ethernet port with the crossover cable (btw, the very same cable I used on the old laptop). I need the wired connection so I can stream 1080p movies without stuttering, so wireless is not an option.

Just for an experiment, I reconnected my old laptop to the PS3 with the same settings and it worked like a charm!! So the settings are allright and work indeed... BUT JUST IN MY OLD MACHINE!!
Unfortunately, using my old laptop isn't an option anymore since I'm planning to give it to my mom as a present.....

In case you were wondering, the Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network port in the new laptop DOES work. I've connected it to the Internet modem and had no problems at all surfing the web. In fact, I've run cmd.exe and pinged the PS3 from my new laptop via wired connection with the crossover cable and it does recognize the PS3 address immediately with 0% of package loss!!!
This is VERY WEIRD!!!

I've tried to reboot both the PS3 and the laptop, disabling & enabling the network adapter, changing IP address for new ones (1&2, 99&100. 10&11, etc), Forcing the IP in PS3 Media Server, changin the network settings several times in both PS3 and laptop, etc. with no success.

Guys please help me!!! I'm desperate!!! Been trying all these things in circles for about 7 hours straight!! Going nuts!!!!!!!

Thanks so much in advance for helping me out. It's truly appreciated

Here are the actual settings:
Windows 7 enterprise (on both old and new laptops)
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: (RJ-45 Crossover to PS3)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . ..: Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 (Blank)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1

PS3

PS3MS:
Force Port of the Server: 5005

I can ping the PS3 with 3ms return and 0% of package loss
I have all firewalls disabled.

I STILL GET THE BIG BAD RED "X" ON PS3 MEDIA SERVER 1.10.51 although it says "You should see XMB, etc.." in the "traces" menu. It even says it's running the server on the NIC address.
edgarvhulcer

Postby stereosteveo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:06 pm

It looks like you have everything right. Don't feel bad, I screwed with mine for 2 weeks before I got it working. Still don't know what the exact fix was.

I checked my PS3 numbers. They are still:
Alternate DNS: ......................: 10.1.1.11 < (You might type this in)

My NIC still set same as yours.

PS3 Media Server:
PS3MS:
Force Port of the Server: 5005 (Right now mine reads blank and it's running. I guess that means the 5001 default. I've had it refuse either randomly at times, and used 6001/5, etc..)

If all else fails, as above, try reinstalling PS3MS maybe. I remember it was like 'just keep screwing with it', and it finally worked..

Also you're using more like ICS right? I could not get a Bridged Conn to work, although others would swear it was the only way..
stereosteveo

Postby edgarvhulcer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:18 am

Thx for your reply stereosteveo!
Good & bad news. The good one: l I managed to find this workaround just a couple of hours ago:
In my laptop I set the Default gataway setting in the connection properties to the very same as the IP adress of the PS3 (in this case 10.1.1.2). After that, PS3 media server instantly recognized the PS3!!! :)

The bad one: The PS3 keeps suddenly disconnecting from the media server at intervals between 2 and 10 minutes!!! That sucks way too much because you can hardly see a movie trailer and obviously can't see a music concert or movie....

Also, while connected via the ethernet cable to the PS3, sometimes the laptop gets disconnected from the wireless router and has no internet although it's been stated as "connected" :S
I'm not trying to bridge or share my laptop internet connection to the PS3. Just want to see a movie while downloading some other stuff on my laptop. So that 2 problems are still an issue (PS3 keeps disconnecting from media server after 2-10 minutes and laptop wireless internet connectivity goes down). It may be important to say that these 2 problems don't happen simultaneously (PS3 might get disconnected from media server and still have internet connection in the laptop and viceversa)

Any suggestions?

Thx!!!!
edgarvhulcer

Return to General Help and Support