Streaming SACD - Does PMS support this?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Streaming SACD - Does PMS support this?

Postby Uridium » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 pm

will PMS transcode a ripped SACD (5.1 DTS)

PS3 is connected to a HDMI AV Receiver so can i get PMS to transcode the ripped 5.1 DTS SACD (WAV format) into PCM?
Uridium

Re: Streaming SACD - Does PMS support this?

Postby Topguy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Uridium wrote:will PMS transcode a ripped SACD (5.1 DTS)
PS3 is connected to a HDMI AV Receiver so can i get PMS to transcode the ripped 5.1 DTS SACD (WAV format) into PCM?

Your subject is a little misleading since if you have a DTS encoded wav, then it has nothing to do with SACD anymore. SACD is a different codec.

I have tried this and I believe the main problem with it is not in PMS but in the PS3. The PMS will decode the wav and send it as a PCM stream just fine but it will still end up as static-noise in my surround receiver. I have DTS encoded CD's and they play just fine on the PS3 and my receiver.

For this to work one need to make sure that the PS3 doesnt modify the stream by a single bit before sending it out on a digital output. It seems to me that all streaming music on the PS3 is automatically resampled to 48Khz (which completely ruins the DTS encoding), when you play a CD on the other hand it keeps the original 44.1Khz samplerate needed for DTS.

And I'm not able to turn OFF the 48Khz support in sound-settings on the PS3 either so right now I dont have a solution for this other than burning CDs.
Topguy

Postby shagrath » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:34 pm

if the source file is .dts, you can transcode it, but in 44.1kHz stereo (I think ps3 does not support higher specs, or maybe just 48khz stereo, for the audio steaming part)
for streaming in full 5.1, I need to extend for dts what I've done for flac 24 bits 5.1 support (play your music files with a fake video, from video section in XMB). unfortunately not very practical to use
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Uridium » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

That'll teach me to read NFO's more carefully...the WAV's i have are SACD converted to DTS. Just needs burning to CD-R :oops:

Appreciate the replies though chaps.
Uridium

Postby Topguy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm

shagrath wrote:if the source file is .dts, you can transcode it, but in 44.1kHz stereo (I think ps3 does not support higher specs, or maybe just 48khz stereo, for the audio steaming part)
for streaming in full 5.1, I need to extend for dts what I've done for flac 24 bits 5.1 support (play your music files with a fake video, from video section in XMB). unfortunately not very practical to use

I was also thinking about that method, but wasnt aware that a 5.1 flac format existed or that you already had done something for it. How do you recognize the special Flac format, ffmpeg I guess?

ffmpeg doesnt recognize the audio as DTS encoded, but mplayer do and will play it with some 5ch->2ch conversion I guess.
Code: Select all
MPlayer Sherpya-SVN-r28126-4.2.5 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ (Family: 15, Model: 47, Stepping: 0)
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Playing tests\David Bowie - Best Of (1969 - 1974).wav.
Audio only file format detected.
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [libdca] DTS decoding with libdca
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [dts] afm: libdca (DTS-libdca)
==========================================================================
AO: [dsound] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

The solution sounds pratical enough for me...
Topguy

Return to General Help and Support