Is Avisynth hooked up with mencoder or mencoder_mt?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Is Avisynth hooked up with mencoder or mencoder_mt?

Postby Seff » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

Since standalone Mencoder is not very good for playing MP4 files with external subtitles, i've been trying to optimize the Mencoder/Avisynth combo, and this is what i've found out.
I'm using CoreAVC 1.9.5 w/ Cuda enabled to streamline the process and i have noticed that whenever i switch to Avisynth, transcoding is done by CoreAVC (duh!) plus the standard mEncoder (mencoder.exe), not the multi-core mencoder (mencoder_mt). Processor load in this case is only 50-60% as compared to 95-100% when using standalone mencoder_mt. Is it how it should be or am i doing something wrong? Can mencoder_mt be used paired with CoreAVC?
Thanks in advance.
Seff

Re: Is Avisynth hooked up with mencoder or mencoder_mt?

Postby shagrath » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 pm

it's with mencoder, no need to use a multithread on this since the video is decoded by another process. your results with CoreAVC/cuda are better because of... cuda, which is not managed by mencoder_mt
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Seff » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:42 pm

your results with CoreAVC/cuda are better because of... cuda

Well, the point is... they are actually not ;) Standalone Mencoder_mt works better in my case (C2D 6300, GT 9600 GT) than Mencoder/CoreAVC. That is the whole reason why i started researching the problem of mencoder doing badly with MP4+external subtitles, cause my 1080p videos do not stutter with mencoder_mt and DO statter with CoreAVC. :) But most of them are mp4's :)
Anyway, thanks for the info, i'll try to find some optimal combination... or upgrade my PC :)
Seff

Postby strictlyfocused » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:30 pm

You could just swap the names of the mencoder files ...

mencoder_mt.exe -> mencoder.exe
mencoder.exe -> mencoder_mt.exe
strictlyfocused

Return to General Help and Support