Somewhat newbie question

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Somewhat newbie question

Postby ISFguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to using the ps3 mediaserver, But I've managed to stream some video's, photo's and audio to my ps3 connected to my pioneer 436 plasma.

Ps3 mediaserver is installed on a fujitsu/siemens laptop with a dual core/1.6 ghz cpu. 1 gig of ram. and a mobile intel 945 express graphics chipset. And this is possibly the problem, as my playback on both the laptop and streaming through the ps3 is very jerky.

I first thought it was a network limitation( dlink wireless router with max. 100mb speed), but here's my first question:

Does my maximum internet connection speed determine the bandwith available for streaming?(around 15mb.), or the max speed the router can handle?(100mb.). I'm a bit confused about that. :(

Thanks,

Dimitri
ISFguy

Re: Somewhat newbie question

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 pm

ISFguy wrote:I first thought it was a network limitation( dlink wireless router with max. 100mb speed), but here's my first question:

Does my maximum internet connection speed determine the bandwith available for streaming?(around 15mb.), or the max speed the router can handle?(100mb.). I'm a bit confused about that. :(
First off, streaming between your PC and PS3 on the same local area network (LAN) has nothing to do the bandwidth provided by your ISP for connecting to the internet (ie wide area network or WAN).

Now, the 100 Mbps you list is probably for the ethernet ports on your router (to connect via cable) and not for your wireless connection, which is probably Wireless-G (limited to 54 Mbps). Now, that is the maximum wifi performance, with realistic performance much lower at 10-15 Mbps, and that's only if you have one connection on one band. If it's a single-band router and both the laptop and PS3 are wifi, you're looking at even lower performance.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ISFguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi,

It's the dlink DIR635.

So I'm pretty much screwed, bandwithwise?....wireless.

Will a cable solve this?. If so how should I connect?, straight from laptop to ps3?.

Thanks,

Dimitri
ISFguy

Postby kickalillas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 pm

In the "Video quality settings", what are the settings that you are using? I've found that tweaking these settings could cause/eliminate the stuttering that you're experiencing.
kickalillas

Postby ISFguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi,

I've used several settings for both, for video bandwith I've used 0 to 20, for mpeg quality I've used every option avalable, but there's no change in bandwith in the ps3 parameters, so I don't think it really changes anyhting...

I've also noticed that the transcoding buffer status is not always active?, In the status tab. On some movies it is, and some it isn't.

There seems to be no stress on the cpu, it's rarely using more than 30%, as far as I can tell. Don't really know what the best engine is in my case?.

I'll send a log or something if you guys want me too, just tell me what you want to see.

Dimitri
ISFguy

Postby meskibob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=496

And the buffer is only active for media that needs to be transcoded, and it doesn't do anything when media is just being streamed.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ISFguy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Thank you for the replies.

What engine would you guys recommend in my case?. tsmuxer or mcencoder?.

I installed powerdvd9 today, and this program will playback my files without stutter on my laptop. So I guess my laptop is not the problem?...hardware wise.

I've noticed when playback is really jerky, and I hit the pause button, wait for 20 seconds and press play again. Video will play smooth even at high bitrate's, but only for about 5 seconds. As if there is a buffer problem...

Dimitri
ISFguy

Return to General Help and Support