Wireless Stuttering Issues Solved!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Wireless Stuttering Issues Solved!

Postby epochfx » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 pm

I've had tons of trouble with wireless streaming. My network cards all seemed to be fine and my CPU is extremely powerful so it made no sense that I was getting choppy playback. To add to the confusion sometimes my server would work almost perfect while other times playing the exact same video with nothing changed would give me trouble. The more I looked into it the more I heard about PS3 having a less than stellar NIC. If you think about downloads in general, when you don't throttle your speeds they can sometimes go over the possible limit and in turn your download/upload gets really choppy and drops. Applying that same idea I felt stupid for not trying it sooner.

- Go into your router settings (usually 192.168.1.1 typed in your browser).

- Find advanced options and look for a setting called Transmission Rate.

- Usually this will be set at 54mbps or Auto. I doubt you have a 54mbps connection, average cable internet is only 3mbps. The problem is that the ps3 NIC tends to not be able to handle 54mbps. Set this to 11mbps and try streaming a video.

For me it worked flawless the first time! On a 1080p video at full quality! I knew my CPU was up to the task and now I'm really relieved to have gotten to the bottom of this. You can experiment with other values higher or lower than 11mbps but thats a recommended starting point. Good luck. ;)
epochfx

Re: Wireless Stuttering Issues Solved!

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:56 am

How do you do that? on transcode settings on ps3 media server? I used to be able to stream 720p movies with no probs.. but now its stutters all the time! very frustrating! please help as you seem to have fixed it for you.. pics perhaps of your set-up would be great! or just a more detailed summary!

peckhamprince

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:03 am

peckhamprince wrote:How do you do that? on transcode settings on ps3 media server? I used to be able to stream 720p movies with no probs.. but now its stutters all the time! very frustrating! please help as you seem to have fixed it for you.. pics perhaps of your set-up would be great! or just a more detailed summary!

He did it through his router's settings, not through the PMS settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:20 am

ok cool, how di I change router settings? vista?

thanks
peckhamprince

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 am

That should all be listed in your router's manual. But typically:
1 - Enter the router's IP into your browser (e.g. http://192.168.0.1). Your specific IP can be found by opening up the Command Prompt and entering the "ipconfig" command, which should somewhere list an address for the "Default Gateway" for your wireless adapter.
2 - It will probably prompt you to authenticate your login. Usually the user name "admin" plus a blank password is the default.
3 - Modify the transfer rate setting. On my DI-624 it was under Advanced -> Performance -> TX Rates.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:07 am

On my Linksys WRT54GS the option can be found under Wireless-> Advanced Wireless Settings-> Transmission Rate.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 am

great stuff fellas! appreciated hugely!

Thank you very much indeed!

:D
peckhamprince

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am

went through what you were saying to do! but cant find where to change settings on my router! help please.. my router is Belkin typed in ip address but cant find option for adjusting transmission! help!

:x
peckhamprince

Postby meskibob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Did you search your manual?
What specific router model do you have?
meskibob

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:21 pm

not sure f5d7231-4 belkin g plus router! dont have a manual for it! copied the ip address for it! came to the right site, but alas nowhere to change transmission settings!

Thanks for your help!
:D
peckhamprince

Next

Return to General Help and Support