How do you actually stream VLC or web video to PS3?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How do you actually stream VLC or web video to PS3?

Postby cottage114 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Love the PS3 media server.
I can stream local PC content with no problem. PS3 could do that before anyway.
From reading about VLC and PS3 media server, it seems that I should be able to play video in VLC and have this stremed to the PS# but after browsing through numerous posts cannot actually find out how this is done?
Have read about the issues getting youtube to play...and after following advice of copying in a different JAR and a opatch it does indeed work for this.

But how do you stream VLC or any other internet video for that matter through the PS3 media server?
I can have VLC play internet video but would like to be able to stream this to the PS# and tghus allow the PC to be used by somebody else while I can watch a movie off the web...

Sorry for the long post that repeats itself...just slowly going crazy.

Great software by the way.

Many thanks,,,
cottage114

Re: How do you actually stream VLC or web video to PS3?

Postby cottage114 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Lots of views.
No answers.
Bump.
cottage114

Re: How do you actually stream VLC or web video to PS3?

Postby RoadHazard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:42 pm

I've never managed to get VLC working as a streaming video transcoder for PMS. Like you, I have no problems getting VLC to stream internet video on its own (it just does it), but through PMS? Nope.
After unsuccessfully trying for a while (trying different versions of VLC, etc), I switched to MEncoder Web as my default streaming video engine, and that works fine (although my old laptop has severe issues keeping up and maintaining a decent buffer).
RoadHazard

Return to General Help and Support