Get subs while playing from .RAR ?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Get subs while playing from .RAR ?

Postby Abdn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello..

Been searching but cant find any good answer on this question.

I can play my .mkv and xvid files from my RAR archives fine, but i cant get subs when i do that. Is it anyway to do this?

Also in the RAR Support thread there was a couple of questions about playing .iso and .img from rar but it was said it wasent possible.. But the last post was from march this year, anyone knows if there is any improvements on that part?

Best regards Abaddon
Abdn

Re: Get subs while playing from .RAR ?

Postby zzTroyzz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:11 am

I don't understand why playing from RAR is important--from my experience (any I haven't tried in some years) encoded media provides little if any storage benefit from being in a compressed archive as the media itself is already compressed. Maybe that has changed, but wouldn't overall performance be faster if the file wasn't contained in an archive that had to be extracted, and then possibly transcoded? It also sounds less problematic too :D
zzTroyzz

Postby Abdn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, its not THAT important ;)

But when you watch series that are only 18-20 mins and needs to unrar and unrar subtitle to every episode it takes almost as long time doing the unrar:ing as it does to watch it :)

And i cant see any loss in quality.

Well, if someone knows if it´s possible pls tell me :D

( Sorry about my bad english ) and thanks again for an awesome program
Abdn

Postby shagrath » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Abdn wrote:I can play my .mkv and xvid files from my RAR archives fine, but i cant get subs when i do that. Is it anyway to do this?

name your srt file from your rar file name:

video.rar
video.srt
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Abdn » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:56 pm

shagrath wrote:
Abdn wrote:I can play my .mkv and xvid files from my RAR archives fine, but i cant get subs when i do that. Is it anyway to do this?

name your srt file from your rar file name:

video.rar
video.srt

Hmm ok, i will test that. Although when i unpack my rar files i dont have to do that.. Will give it a try later. Tnx alot !
Abdn

Return to General Help and Support