SOLVED: Sort order of folders and files in PS3 Media Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

SOLVED: Sort order of folders and files in PS3 Media Server

Postby TomR » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:12 am

Can anyone tell me what the sort order of files and folders is in PS3 Media Server. I hoped it would be alphabetically, however that is not the case. Then I imagined it wold be creation date of file or folder. That is also not the case. ) I tried to remove folder, recreate it with the same name, but still was on top of the list.

It seems some caching issue. Where can i find and adjust parameter for that?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Last edited by TomR on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomR

Re: Sort order of folders and files in PS3 Media Server

Postby Subject2Change » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Alphabetically with Folders on top.

So if you have a C: Files that you are sharing and inside that you have Folders and Files, folders will be on top with the files following in Alphabetical order.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby TomR » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Does not seem to work that way.

Folders and files ( in folders ) are NOT sorting alphabetically. However how the sorting is defined I can not determine. First it seemed that it was in order of creation date on the HD, however I copied data to a new folder and remove the old folder. After renaming the folder was still on top, and not at the bottom.

It seems some caching issue, or a preference I cannot find?

Any help appreciated.

Tom
TomR

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:28 pm

PS3 cached files when browsing. If PS3 finds new one, it will be added at last, not alphabetically. You need to restart browsing to be correctly ordered
ExSport

Postby TomR » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:56 pm

That was what I thought. But what do you mean by browsing?

I restarted PS media server ( I even restarted my computer ), and also switched off the PS3 ( standby ), but it still shows me the folders not alphabetically, and some files within folders not alphabetically. So what am I missing?

Also removed the head directory completely from PS3 media server, and re-added again. No effect.

P.S. I double-checked the folder and file names.

Any other help appreciated

Tom
TomR

Postby Subject2Change » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:14 pm

That seems really strange, my order is always folders then files and anything new added is placed on the bottom until I restart the service/computer.

I really doubt it has anything to do with how you sort on your Hard Drive but you may want to take a look at that perhaps despite it being quite unlikely.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby shagrath » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Subject2Change wrote:That seems really strange, my order is always folders then files and anything new added is placed on the bottom until I restart the service/computer.

I really doubt it has anything to do with how you sort on your Hard Drive but you may want to take a look at that perhaps despite it being quite unlikely.

that's normal
but honestly, I like this behavior (don't want to search my new files hidden somewhere in the list)
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: SOLVED: Sort order of folders and files in PS3 Media Server

Postby TomR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 am

After rebooting computer, switch PS3 off/on, my folder and files are sorted alphabetically.

Thanks for your help/replies

Tom
TomR

Postby Subject2Change » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Yup and I like it that way too. Instead of having to say Refresh everything like I did with TVersity I just assume anything new is on the bottom.
Subject2Change

Postby Carnivac » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Is there any plans to make it optional? Like choosing a sort method?
Carnivac

Next

Return to General Help and Support