HD Videos, How to?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

HD Videos, How to?

Postby spider993993 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, I have some videos that are 1080P but when i stream them they are obviously not as high quality, Would like to know what kind of settings i need to change in order to output the video in HD.

Thanks.
spider993993

Re: HD Videos, How to?

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507 (look at the Configuration Options post)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby spider993993 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 pm

meskibob wrote:http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507 (look at the Configuration Options post)

Thanks, video looks a tad better but still not as sharp as i would like it to be. thank you though.
spider993993

Postby otmanix » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 pm

You didn't explain wether you are transcoding or muxing.
- When muxing is used you should get original video quality.
- When transcoding is used you can set MPG2 quality to "keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=1 /* Lossless Quality, Crazy Bitrate */". This will probably end in stuttering video because of cpu load and/or network bandwith needed...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby RDJim » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 pm

otmanix wrote:You didn't explain wether you are transcoding or muxing.
- When muxing is used you should get original video quality....

How does one know if he's muxing or not? Can one force muxing? Would this be desirable?

I've looked through the PMS tabs and only see a couple of references to mux:

"DTS/FLAC -> LPCM remux" and "Remux when audio track is AC3." Neither of these seem like what I'm thinking of.

Just got my first PS3 and I'm new to this streaming/media server/PS3 thing. But I got myself up and running with a direct Cat5 connection and easily got set up thanks to PMS. I'm watching videos (except for some AVIs that don't play) no problems.. I'm still waiting for Amazon to send me the Component cables for my PS3 which they shipped separately via US Post Office (who knows when I'll get them). So I'm only able to see things in a SD window. But I did play an 1080P M2T file and it played smoothly and looked fine in SD.

Thanks for any advise and thanks to the creators of PMS - seems like a swell application!

Jim
RDJim

Postby otmanix » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:22 am

What is transcoding/muxing? http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/13/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-1-introduction/

Can one force muxing?

You can enforce muxing by choosing tsmuxer engine in XMB. In XMB choose video menu, select PMS, goto folder which contains video, select virtual folder #-- transcode --#, select video file, select tsmuxer

Would this be desirable?

Yes, because you get the original audio and video stream in unchanged quality. If your media file contains not supported video codec PMS has to transcode the video stream to MPG2...

How does one know if he's muxing or not?

First of all check if automatic muxing is enabled:

video files engines: MEncoder > switch to tsmuxer when video when h.264 video is PS3 compatible
Enable this! When MEncoder transcoding engine is used and PMS recognizes a PS3 compatible video it will switch to transcoding engine tsmuxer. The video will then be streamed directly or muxed but not transcoded! This setting will dramatically reduce the need of transcoding. Matroska video (mkv) for example aren’t supported on PS3. Mostly the contained audio and video stream is PS3 compatible. So tsmuxer creates a PS3 compatible m2ts container which contains the original audio and video stream and the PS3 is able to playback. This feature reduces both network traffic (because of better compression as MPG2) and CPU power needed for playback.

When you playback a video file, e.g. a h.264 HD-video, press select on your PS3 controller. If MPG2 is displayed for video codec PMS is transcoding, otherwise AVC is displayed which means muxing.

There are some parameters for muxing/transcoding audio stream which depend on your hardware. If you have an PS3 and A/V receiver capable of decoding DD/DTS you may want to change certain settings. Please read chapter "common transcoding settings": http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507

and a last comment: subtitles enforce transcoding...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby spider993993 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Thank you, this cleared up a lot of questions.
spider993993

Return to General Help and Support