How to best rip my DVDs for playback via PS3 Media Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: How to best rip my DVDs for playback via PS3 Media Server

Postby sddawson » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:49 am

I'm sort of leaning this way and forgetting about preserving the original DVD structure, but I'm still a bit torn...

And if I end up doing something like this, I'd be tempted to also convert to a different format (h.264?) that would have the benefit of saving heaps of disk space. Done properly (I'd use Handbrake) I doubt I'd see any degradation in quality.
sddawson

Postby knicknak » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:27 am

I rip the DVD then use Handbrake to make MKV (H.264 w/5.1 AC-3 audio) then user mkv2vob to remux them into m2ts - this allows streaming ffwd & rwd, saves space, and preserves quality. No subtitles though.
knicknak

Postby sddawson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks, knicknak. That was going to be my preferred option if I don't maintain the original DVD format. I think converting the mkv to vob maintains the video format, correct? So it doesn't have to reconvert. It also streams using PS3 Media Server without having to be transcoded, which is a big plus too. The only thing in the back of my mind is that that format doesn't sit well with things like AppleTV or Front Row (and I use Macs). I'd have to use a Front Row replacement like Boxee/Plex/XBMC (which I might want to do anyway).
sddawson

Previous

Return to General Help and Support