How to best rip my DVDs for playback via PS3 Media Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to best rip my DVDs for playback via PS3 Media Server

Postby wm_cheng » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:02 am

Hi all,

Thanks for such a wonderful program. So happy to have something that will stream 5.1 audio to my PS3 - BRAVO!

What would be the best method to maintain quality to start transferring my collection of DVDs to my HDD that would be the best compatible format with this program? Should I create an DVD ISO or Decrypt them into the VideoTS with a single large VOB or the multiple VOBs? If I keep the existing multiple VOB structure of the original disc (I realize I have no menu support yet) but will it play from VOB to VOB seamlessly? Is there a FAQ or help file that suggests what would be the optimal settings to rip my DVDs to HDD that the PS3 Media Server will like?

Thanks, just starting to play with this amazing software - a help file would be appreciated. ;-)
wm_cheng

Re: How to best rip my DVDs for playback via PS3 Media Server

Postby christi@n » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 am

If it helps..

I had a ripped DVD as an ISO, did not work.
I had one as VOB files in an ordinary directory -> The files played but not in "DVD mode" and strangely encoded (played very quick and choppy)
I then put those VOB files in a directory called VIDEO_TS -> This worked. The media server saw the directory as a DVD and in this directory there was a DVD to play, but without menus.
christi@n

Postby wm_cheng » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks, thats a good tip didn't know that it had to still be in the Video_TS directory structure.

Did you have one big VOB in there, or a series of smaller VOBs? My question is that will the PS3MS read the next VOB seamlessly or will it pause slightly as it moves from one VOB to the next?

So the question is: is it better to rip the DVD into one big VOB or keep the original VOB structure as multiple 1Gb VOBs? I'd prefer to keep the original structure whenever possible (as long as PS3MS will stream the next VOB without pause), then I would have everything even menus should another program (or a later version of PS3MS) later on support that via the PS3 (I don't have to re-rip everything).
wm_cheng

Postby christi@n » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Did you have one big VOB in there, or a series of smaller VOBs?

I had an has a series of VOBS in that VIDEO_TS folder, not a big one.
christi@n

Postby sddawson » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 am

Hoping you're still around, wm-cheng. Did you settle on a good way of doing this? It seems to me that whether a DVD is ripped to an ISO or exists inside a VIDEO_TS folder, you still only get to play each VOB file individually. That is, you have to sort through on the ps3 to find the biggest one, and that's hopefully the main feature, which is a bit of a pain.

I used Mac The Ripper to rip just the main feature to a single VOB, and that does work. It's just a file on the PS3. Won't play natively though, only if you pick it through a transcode folder. Interestingly, if you use Handbrake to rip to an mkv file, and then use an app like mkv2vob, that single vob does play without transcoding. Love to know why this is! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the converted mkv file is only 1 or 2Gb, whereas the directly ripped vob is in excess of 4Gb.

Cheers.
sddawson

Postby mazinga » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:49 am

I use DVDFab Platinum with mobile option. I rip the main movie to an H264+AC3 file in MP4 container. You have full control over the final output size and quality. These files stream directly to PS3 with no further drama.
mazinga

Postby sddawson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 am

That would be the equivalent of me using Handbrake to encode using its PS3 preset, I guess, which is always an option. I guess we were looking for something that preserved the original DVD stucture a bit more...
sddawson

Postby SJO[DK] » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:54 am

Hi there,
I use "MyMovies" (http://www.mymovies.dk) to RIP directly to ISO and it works perfectly - including #TRANSCODE# where I can select the language and subtitle I prefer :)
MyMovies also gives me a perfect place to store my DVD collection and automatically get covers, actors etc.
I know that MyMovies is developed for using with MS MCE but you can easily use it as a DVD database along with PS3 MediaServer :P
SJO[DK]

Postby sddawson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

But aren't you just presented with a whole heap of VOB files, from which you have to "guess", pretty much, which one to play?
sddawson

Postby Uridium » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:29 am

I just rip to a single .Vob with DVDShrink.

Software is free and works perfect. Just choose the video and audio stream you want :)
Uridium

Next

Return to General Help and Support