[Solved] Streaming/CPU problem, i think

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

[Solved] Streaming/CPU problem, i think

Postby JohnMartin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 am

Hello.

Sorry if there is a answer for this somewhere else, but I could not find any.

I got my PS3 Slim today, and one of the first things I did was to set up PSM.
Everything went okey in the beginning, the server is running and I can access the computer via the PS3.
Byt seems like I have some trouble with the streaming.
When I try to look at a movie my computer/cpu don't throttle up.
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz. But when the system is idle it slows down just to 1.6Ghz.
I would believe that using PMS need a lot of CPU, and since the CPU load is not 100% (or even constant on 2.6GHz) when I'm streaming a movie, I thought that my problem lies there.

When looking at a movie there is nothing happening on the Status tab on PMS.
Transcodig buffer status says always empty.
I/O statistics: shows nothing
Current bitrate: shows nothing.

Is that right? Even when I'm looking at a .avi or .mp4 (H264)?
Tried to look at a .wmv clip just now, and then I got readings on the Status page..

Anyone have any idea why my CPU don't start working when I try to stream a movie regular and HD?

-
John Martin
Last edited by JohnMartin on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnMartin

Re: Streaming/CPU problem, i think

Postby wbrinkman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 am

Streaming a file doesn't take a lot of CPU power. It's the transcoding of movie files that is CPU heavy.
Sounds like you are streaming movie files that the PS3 has no trouble in displaying.

To see your CPU spike, go into the PMS #transcode menu option and select the movie files in there. That way you force PMS to transcode.
wbrinkman

Postby JohnMartin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 pm

I see.. but does PS3 support .mp4? and H264 ?
When I try to look at that movie, the movie don't run smooth. It stops and starts.. Even if I choose the lowest quality under 'Video Quality Settings'.
I'm currently on Wlan, but will go LAN later today, but since I picked the lowest quality, I should be able to view the movie anyway. Just not in good quality?

That's why i started to wonder why my cpu did not peak..
JohnMartin

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:08 pm

JohnMartin wrote:I see.. but does PS3 support .mp4? and H264 ?
Yes
JohnMartin wrote:When I try to look at that movie, the movie don't run smooth. It stops and starts.. Even if I choose the lowest quality under 'Video Quality Settings'.
I'm currently on Wlan, but will go LAN later today, but since I picked the lowest quality, I should be able to view the movie anyway. Just not in good quality?
For streamed files only the network bandwidth is going to matter, so yes, try it after wiring up your LAN. The quality setting you're talking about is for transcoded files, while compatible files are streamed as is.
See the following thread for some explanations of the basics: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby JohnMartin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm about to give up :evil:
I don't get the PS3 to connect to my PC wired!
Since I can't go tru the router, I have to connect the PS3 directly to the computer.
And when I connect a cable between my computer and PS3, I just get "Unindentified network" on the LAN port on my computer.
And trying to set up a connection on my PS3 fails.

I assume I have to manually insert a ip-adress, gateway and DNS server. But What? :(

Have tried with a regular LAN cable and a crossover LAN cable, but nothing work so far.

Is there a guide or something that could help me with this problem? :roll:
JohnMartin

Postby JohnMartin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Well I finally got the ps3 and pc connected.
But now PMS can't find the PS3 and the server don't work! :roll:

I know the connection is okey, because I can see Windows mediaplayer server in XMB..
JohnMartin

Re: [Solved] Streaming/CPU problem, i think

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 pm

Make sure PMS is choosing the proper network interface (look at the Trace) and force the correct one if it's not (dropdown setting under the General Config tab)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support